Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unsolicited password reminder  (Read 3799 times)

Im_Addicted

• Coppermine newbie
unsolicited password reminder
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:56:11 am »

I ran a search on this site for password reminder and came up with no results, so I am going to go ahead and post.  On my Coppermine site, I keep getting e-mails sent to my account from the Coppermine gallery telling me that I requested a reminder of my password to be sent to me and it sends me my info; user name and password.  But, I have not requested it.  Could it be a glitch, something I did wrong, or is somebody trying to hack the gallery?  Thanks for any response you can give me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:56:05 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: unsolicited password reminder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:03:53 am »

someone ist trying to gain access (hacking attempt). Make sure you have a good password (upper and lower case plus numbers, not a dictionary word, min. 8 chars, no keyboard pattern nor backwards-word).

Joachim

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:50:38 pm »

You should also review your server logs.  Cross reference the times with the times on your emails, that should help you narrow down the culprit.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Im_Addicted

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 01:45:45 am »

Thanks for the help.  I have always had it set up that the users can not see the member list at all, so I am wondering how they got my user name to begin with?  I have also had the password to be a combination of letters and numbers that are case sensitive.  But, I am changing it again now.  I am going to try cross referencing to see if I can figure out who it might be, but I am not sure I am skilled enough to figure that out.  Not sure where to go for my server logs but I will most certainly look into it.  I would not be surprised if it is the creep who wrote all sorts of profane comments on the site until I banned the IP address and forced registration just to view the albums.

One question, when I change my password, it asks me to confirm which user I am changing it for and it gives me three options - my user name and two that look like this "<>".  What on earth are those?

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:57:48 am »

That would be some password remembering feature in your browser, not a part of coppermine. Just going to /profile.php?uid=1 will bring up the admin profile on most galleries, so it is easy to get the admin username.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 07:24:55 am »

as a workaround against what Nibbler is refering to, create another user account, make him admin, log in with the new admin account and make the old aldmin account a regular user. This way, your new admin account will have a random uid (not "1").

Joachim

Im_Addicted

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 03:50:17 pm »

Thank you so much.  I will do that now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.