Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help starting/installing  (Read 4253 times)

nd10703

• Coppermine newbie
Need help starting/installing
« on: March 01, 2005, 11:36:56 pm »

Can someone please give me the idiots version of how to start, I just can't seem to figure it out. I've installed Coppermine but I have no idea where to go from here. How do I get my domain name? Any help at all on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated and once again sorry for being such an amateur.
Thanks,
Liz

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Need help starting/installing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 08:05:12 am »

you get your own domain by paying for it - there are companies called "webhosts" who will do this for you. On the "general discussion" board, there is a thread dedicated to web hosts supporting coppermine. However, this board is not the right sport to find out such basic things. As you don't seem to have a webhost, you appear to be self-hosting, which is not recommended at all for newbies. However, there are way to get your own subdomain of an existing domain, while you use your local pc as webserver. Google for "dyndns".

Joachim

typhooner

• Coppermine newbie
    • jasonschwab.com
Re: Need help starting/installing
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:42:00 am »

http://www.dyndns.org is who I use and most of their services are free.   From my experiance if you don't know what your doing you just asking for a world of hurt.   When using the dyndns you also (most likley) will have to change the port for incoming web traffic because lots of isp's block incoming port 80 (default)...change it to port 8080 or something like that.  Then you have to change your apache to listen for port 8080 ....Then you have to forward port 8080 to your computer via your router admin panel...

So lets put it that way...If you understood less than 2/3rd's of what I just explained I would not even think about attempting this...   If you do decide to do it heres a link that might help
http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/change_apache_port.html

its for mac osx...if your using Windows look at what their doing (port changing, apache setup etc.)   All of the steps are the same in Windows, but you'll just have to do a google search on how to actually change these things...

Good luck...
Hey everyone,  Help a poor college student get a free laptop (ibook)...follow this link and sign up for one of the offers...Then cancel it before the free trial ends.  Thanks
http://www.notebooks4free.com/default.aspx?r=266256
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.