Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User customizable picture resolution  (Read 3123 times)

vlada

• Coppermine newbie
User customizable picture resolution
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:10:39 am »

Hello,
I just recently discovered Coppermine and I really love it. Before I used LinPHA to generate my galleries. There are some things LinPHA has and Coppermine is missing. The most important future is displaying of slides. In Coppermine they are created when inserting pictures in gallery, but LinPHA generates them "on the fly" and alows users to set size of the displayed image. I believe this is an important future, because everybody has a different screen resolution and a piture which is O.K. for 800x600 will be to small on a 1600x1200 monitor.
Also I like better the slideshow that LinPHA uses. It displays images in full screen and you can move through them also manually.
Do you believe these improvements can be implemented?

Thank you,
Vlada

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: User customizable picture resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:07:56 am »

personally I don't know the other app you're refering to, but image resizing on the fly puts a huge strain on the server, therefor such a feature would imply severe performance penalties, so I'm not sure it should go into the core code. However, the thumbs could be created in larger dimensions and be resized on the client to achieve this.

There are other threads that deal with multimedia presentation of pics, and I'm not sure about such a feature being in the core code: I prefer to have control over the browser: apps that send me into fullscreen mode make me shy away; I leave such sites immediately. However, it could be an admin settable option.
In the future, please keep in mind that we have a "one question per thread" policy to make issues easier to track: proposing two features in one thread is not a good idea imo.

Joachim

vlada

• Coppermine newbie
Re: User customizable picture resolution
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 12:21:30 am »

Hello,
thank you for your answers. I'd like to apologize for placing 2 future requests in one thread, but I believe they are pretty close. They are both dealing with one problem: optimal picture resolution.
Please look at this demo of yappa-ng to see how the picture resolution selection works. I personally host my gallery on my own computer and I don't expect very high traffic. So resizing "on the fly" is a preffered option for me. Why not make this an admin settable option?
Regarding the slide show, I expressed myself wrong. In fact I don't want the browser to go necessary to fullscreen, but I want the photographs to be shown as big as possible using curent window. I now this is not easy to do, because in PHP you don't know what the screen reolution is. I'd like to ask you to look at the slideshow of LinPHA, this is how I would like it look like. Btw. it only works in Firefox AFAIK.
Both galleries I mentioned are released under GPL, so you can even use some code from it.

Regards,
Vlada
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 08:54:14 am by GauGau »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.