Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost Admin Privileges  (Read 3652 times)

dk415

• Coppermine newbie
Lost Admin Privileges
« on: February 17, 2005, 06:17:43 am »

5 hours ago, I logged out of my CPG and everything was fine. Upon re-logging in now, for some reason debug mode is activated and I am no longer administrator. If I had access to the MySQL database, is there a way to trigger my username back to the administrator group so that I have admin mode back? As it stands, I have no way to access anything now.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Lost Admin Privileges
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:25:00 am »

If you no longer have admins powers, the chances are high that your coppermine gallery has been hacked. Go to your database tool (phpMyAdmin, cpanel or whatever you have), browse coppermine's user table and make the user who is suppossed to be admin member of the  user_group "1". Check all other members as well (by sorting the table display by "user_group" descending: there mustn't be any other admin members except you.
It is mandatory that you do these things if you actually have been hacked:
  • Change all your admin passwords (this includes your ftp password, phpMyAdmin-pw, coppermine-admin pw). Use strong passwords that can stand a dictionary attack. The passwords should be 8 characters long (or more) and should contain alpha-numeric characters (using capitalized and non-capitalized letters as well as numbers).
  • Scan all files on your webspace: make sure there is no unknown executable or program that wasn't there before; website hackers often leave a backdoor so they can regain control of a site if just the passwords have been changed. Preferably delete all files on your webspace and upload backups (if you have them)
  • Make sure to check you have up-to-date versions of all server-sided software (e.g. php with Zend Optimizer, mySQL etc.)
  • Check the hotlines and support boards of all applications you use for known security vulnerabilities and update if applicable. Also google around for them (i.e. using the search terms "security vulnerability APPLICATION_NAME")
  • Contact your webhost - tell them what happened, ask for their advice and make them check the server logs or ask for your server log and check it yourself
Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.