Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improve navigation from photo back up to home  (Read 3318 times)

bsvee

• Coppermine novice
    • gallery.svee.org
Improve navigation from photo back up to home
« on: February 11, 2005, 10:51:27 pm »

A conversation with another confused visitor to my site has prompted this post. Quite often when I email or tell someone about my gallery they visit the gallery on their own and they are able to drill down to the photos by themselves. However, they often get confused trying to navigate back up. The bar on the top table that lists "Home > Catagory Name > Album Name" is not so obvious to them and they don't even know that they can click on it. And then if they click on the "Album List" button, it takes them to to the thumbnails for the category, but not to home. So, I get comments like, "I don't see the such-and-such album anywhere."

I'd like to suggest that somebody revisit how this bar is implemented and rework it in some way so that its usage is more obvious to my confused friends and family members. Or perhaps allow the option of always having the "Album List" button proceed to "Home" instead of to the currently selected category.

Barry Svee
gallery.svee.org
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 07:28:38 am by donnoman »

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • http://tariquesani.net
Re: Improve navigation from photo back up to home
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:36:07 am »

I agree that there should be an Option explicitly named Home just prior to the Album list option. That said, it is very simple to just put a link in the menu which points to index.php and that should take you Home....
SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 07:27:56 am »

This has been a long time irritant for myself as well, and I think it would go a long way to help clearing up the confusion and frustration with the "alb_list" button.

I coded a configurable "home" button for the sys_menu in the dev version. That is properly internationalzed (That's the problem with coding your own home button)

You can override the url from the config page, documentation shows how you can use the field to point to the root of the domain or to the gallery, or some arbitrary url.  The field defaults to "index.php" which will always point back to the root of the gallery.

bsvee

• Coppermine novice
    • gallery.svee.org
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 03:54:09 pm »

Thank you for coming up with such a quick solution!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.