Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Img for table header background?  (Read 6142 times)

Colliope

• Coppermine frequent poster
Img for table header background?
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:22:47 pm »

I'm pretty good with HTML & tables, but only have a rudimentary knowledge of CSS - dabbled in it just enough to understand the concept of style sheets and basic formatting. Don't know a thing about php.

So now that you know my "skill" level, here's what I'm stuck on right now:

I'm trying to modify the "Reynolds" theme to make my gallery resemble my php forum. In my php forum, the table header behind the category names is an image, not a solid color. I want to use this same image as a background for the table header on my gallery as well, but can't get it to work.

Here is the the code for the header from my galllery style.css:

Code: [Select]
.tableh1
      { background-color: #FFFBCD;
        font-size:1em;
        font-weight: bold;
        color : #447395;
        padding-top: 3px;
        padding-right: 10px;
        padding-bottom: 3px;\
        padding-left: 10px; }

I've tried inserting
background-image: url('images/header_cell.jpg');   (same way its written on my php forum)
into that to get this

.tableh1
      { background-color: #FFFBCD;
        background-image: url('images/header_cell.jpg');
        font-size:1em;
        font-weight: bold;
        color : #447395;
        padding-top: 3px;
        padding-right: 10px;
        padding-bottom: 3px;\
        padding-left: 10px; }

but it doesn't work. Changing the background-color works, but I can't get the image to show. So I'm thinking maybe I need to add the image somewhere else in another document?
And oh, "header_cell.jpg" is located in coppermine/themes/reynolds/images, so I believe I have it in the right spot.

Col

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: Img for table header background?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 06:28:53 pm »

have you tried modifying theme.php already ?

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 06:32:13 pm »

The path would need to be all the way from the top, so themes/your_theme/images/header_cell.jpg Check the server error log for a 404 for the file and adjust the path accordingly.

Colliope

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 06:44:04 pm »

have you tried modifying theme.php already ?

No. I haven't made changes to anything yet except the style.css for my theme.

The path would need to be all the way from the top, so themes/your_theme/images/header_cell.jpg Check the server error log for a 404 for the file and adjust the path accordingly.

The path I have - images/header_cell.jpg - is the same path that the theme's logo used. (I deleted that logo from the page.) Are you saying that even though that path worked for the logo, I would need to write out the full path for my table image?

Col

Colliope

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 08:16:11 pm »

I tried putting the full path in and it didn't make a difference.

Col

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 08:27:58 pm »

Checked for 404s in error log ?

snork13

• Contributor
  • Internet! Is that thing still around?
    • Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 09:07:16 pm »

hello,

you should not need the full path for images for a theme unless you are using them in the template.html file of the theme. you could try placing the image in the correct table in your theme.

your code looks correct to first look. (edited) kegobeer is correct as normal

feel free to zip up what you have done and email it to me to try to fix.

snork13 AT snork13 DOT NET

snork
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:13:33 pm by snork13 »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 09:08:05 pm »

A link to your gallery might help.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 09:08:57 pm »

Images in css are called relative to the css file location, and without quotation marks.

background-image: url(images/button_bg.gif);
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Colliope

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 01:56:21 am »

Nibbler:
Checked for 404s in error log ?

Tried, but couldn't find how to do that with my host server.

snork13:
feel free to zip up what you have done and email it to me to try to fix.

Thanks! I think I'll take you up on that offer. I'm really enjoying trying to learn this as I go, but at the rate I'm going, I'll never get my gallery open to for business! What do I need to zip? Just my Kean theme folder correct?

TranznDance:
A link to your gallery might help.

OK. I will post that shortly. Haven't posted it because at this point, its purely in the test/learn stage and I know there's alot I have to work on before its ready for any reviewing. I'm kind of embarrassed to have the experts look at it.   :-[

KegOBeer:
Images in css are called relative to the css file location, and without quotation marks.
background-image: url(images/button_bg.gif);

I currently have it background-image: url("images/header_cell.jpg"); and its working. BUT...

On one hand, I was able to get the background image to show; on the other, I must have done a major bad somewhere, because now none of the themes will display except my style "kean", which started out as "reynolds".  Any theme I choose from config displays as "kean", and when I go back to config, the drop-down box is back on "kean", like no matter which one I pick, it slips back to "kean".  I planned on deleting all the extra styles at some point, since I don't plan on using anything except for my personalized style when its finished, but now I'm worried that even if I delete them all, I've still created a glitch in the pipes somewhere.

I'm going to list the steps I did and maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong and how to fix it.

From style guide-how-to:
Browse through the different themes that come with coppermine, choose the one you like best and start modifying it. To keep things simple, you should start with the default theme that comes with coppermine and modify it step-by-step On your local hard drive, copy the folder "default" (with all the files contained in it) within the themes folder and paste it to another location on your hard drive rename the copy of the default folder (do not use spaces or special chars), e.g. "my_theme" cut the new folder "my_theme" and paste it back into the "themes" of coppermine upload "my_theme" to your webserver . use a text editor and modify /coppermine/themes/my_theme/style.css Only change some bits within style.css at a time - save your changes and upload the modified file to your webserver, and view them in your browser

I did that as described, but not in that order. I think that's maybe where I went wrong.

I didn't find a theme close enough to what i wanted in the ones that came with the install, so I installed theme "reynolds" from this site. After installing it,  I copied and renamed the original "reynolds" folder to "reynolds_orig" on my hard drive (so I had the orig in tact in case I had to start over), and was making all my changes to "reynolds", thinking I could rename it to my own name after I was done modifying.

I was making one small change at a time, then ftp'ing the updated style.css to my site, viewing, edit more, etc.. Then I hit this problem with the table background, and after the last reply here, I renamed theme folder "reynolds" to "kean", used find & replace to replace all occurences of "reynolds" within the documents of folder "kean" to "kean".  Then I ftp'ed folder "kean" to the themes folder of my gallery, went to config, selected "kean" and presto - there's my modified theme, and now the table back image is showing! Yeah! Only, now every theme I select displays as theme "kean". So I then deleted via ftp the theme folder "reynolds" from my server and replaced it with the original untouched "reynolds" folder I had saved/copied earlier. But it didn't help, becasue all my themes are still displaying as "kean".

So in fixing one problem, I have made a bigger one. If you're still reading, thankyou - I appreciate all the help.

Col

Colliope

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 02:40:28 am »

OK, here goes.

My Coppermine gallery:  http://www.s118265325.onlinehome.us/Coppermine/index.php

(modified from theme "reynolds" to resemble forum.)

My forum:  http://www.s118265325.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/index.php

(modified from style 'Diddle".)

Col

Colliope

Re: Mostly solved
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 02:59:29 am »

I deleted the original "reynolds" theme from my server, then deleted all my cookies, temp internet files, and browser history, rebooted, and viola! - all the installed themes, including my "kean" theme, are displaying again. And my table background image is showing. Not sure what made the difference, but at least I'm getting there.

Col

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Mostly solved
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 11:25:01 am »

I deleted the original "reynolds" theme from my server, then deleted all my cookies, temp internet files, and browser history, rebooted, and viola! - all the installed themes, including my "kean" theme, are displaying again. And my table background image is showing. Not sure what made the difference, but at least I'm getting there.

Col

This was the cookie that would not let you see any other theme.  If you have this problem again, type into the browser, at the end of the gallery url, '?theme=default' then it will return to which ever theme is set in config.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.