Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logging in to an album that matches the group you are a member of?  (Read 5093 times)

dondo521

• Coppermine novice

I have been trying to figure out a way that a user can log in to an album that matches the group he is a member of, is this possible? So for example if I have a group named Mitchell and the user name is Steve Mitchell could he log on and come directly to just that album; being that that album in question can only be seen by the group Mitchell? I have been playing around with the login page and still a no go so far...I know it sounds like a crazy thing but if it can be done I just might have a solution for some out here who have been seeking access to their members accounts that they might not have necessarily had before while allowing full administrative access to just the administrator of the photo gallery and not any users. I do know all about setting up private albums and personal galleries but this might be a real cool thing to do if it can be done. It might also be a solution to hacking or commenting out your theme...

Thanks to all who can help...

dondo521

radianation

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Radianation
Re: Logging in to an album that matches the group you are a member of?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 06:04:10 pm »

Well, their USERID should equal their gallery. Find the login script and once they have been validated just redirect them to their page using their ID?
For example:
http://www.louipimps.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11396
That will take you directly to my album.

dondo521

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 03:17:44 am »

Yes that does work if you are setting up user or private galleries. But I am trying to see if the log in script can just go directly to the album(s) that that particular user is a group member of. So again if the name of a group is "Mitchell" and the user name is "Steve Mitchell" he could he log on and come directly to just that album; being that that album in question can only be seen by the group "Mitchell".
So why not set up to be a private or user gallery? If this can work I will write out in detail a way that many out here might like to set up there Coppermine Photo galleries.
I have been trying to figure out a way to make the login work like this, but still no luck, any ideas?

Thanks,

dondo521

radianation

• Radianation
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:04:38 am »

Actually, I think I'm trying to accomplish the same thing. Tell me if this is what you're asking for:

At work I set up an internal image library for finished artwork. This is so our designers can quickly reference artwork we've done for clients. The database contains job numbers and all the good stuff necessary for tracking down the production artwork if required.

Last week an account executive requested permission for a client to be able to login to our image library to view files specifically for them. Here's my dilema. I'm having trouble creating member groups that have access to specific galleries. What would be nice is if the group page allowed me to check off specific galleries that they are allowed to have access to. Then when they logged in they would be taken only to the galleries they can access, without even seeing a list of what they can't access.

dondo521

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 08:35:05 am »

It is a similar dilemma.
Actually here's my story...

I have read postings similar to this. For my situation I have set up a website for a photographer.
He has Weddings, Family Portraits, Senior Portraits and the like.
What I am trying to do is create individual customer albums but not set it up like personal or private galleries. Meaning no User Categories. Why?
Because it's too much for what the photographer is looking for. He just wants the customer to have their own album to view, not be able to things like modify or delete or create new albums on their own. So no administrative access on the part of the customer as well as not letting them be able to upload. True you can just set up user galleries and true alot of this you can shut off when you set up a group, but what about when you try to create a new user album? Well to do that you must first create the user and assign him/her to a group. Then log in as them to create the album. Then when you do log in as them there is that "Admin mode" available that you don't want the user to have but you need as the administrator to create the album in the first place. Yes, you can alter your theme and comment out some of the fields as in commenting out the Administrator menu, but that means that you will have to have two themes available-one for the user and one for you the administrator. The administrator theme would not have the admin fields commented out but the user theme would. But that can be a drag because you always have to make sure you as the administrator always use the right theme and it's not really a good way to possibly have a user end up using or finding your administrator theme.

So here's my solution. In the way I am going to describe it will set it up to allow the administrator true administrative rights to his users, while also allowing the setup of private albums should you want to as well or sometime down the road.

1) Log in to your gallery as the administrator.
2) Go to users group
3) Create a user group for your customers who don't mind their albums being shown in public, we'll call that "Public Album". These customers will not require a login name or password.
4) Then create individual private user groups that only allow viewing by that individual private user.
In other words say you have a user named Steve Mitchell.
You would then go in and create a group called Mitchell.
In my case I would make that Mitchell group allow to post comments and whatever else but set the "Public Album" to not post comments so no passerby can do so. I leave in my configuration setup that anyone can send e-cards but that's ok since only the albums that are in that public group will be able to. The Mitchell or private group can as well but only someone who is a member of it (it will make sense in a sec-read on)
I also don't allow for ratings as well, but again that is your preference. What is important here is that every private user is entirely a private group.

The reason for this? Well when you create an album as the administrator you can do just that! Be the administrator!
5) Create the album as the administrator and set in the albums properties to be viewed by that particular user group or in this case the group named Mitchell.

6) Now create the user. In this case it will be Steve Mitchell. For the users properties I make him a member of the user group Mitchell and nothing else. And of course he has a password...

So now Steve Mitchell is a member of the user group Mitchell. And only the albums that can be viewed in the Mitchell group can be seen by Steve Mitchell and no one else because no one else will be in that group.

So that solves the problem of having Steve Mitchell or a customer who wants a private album the choice to have one and not have to deal with him having administrative rights and such. Remember I just want the users to be able to view there photos publicly or privately and nothing else. I also use Casper's awesome PayPal mod so customer's can order their prints, man I gotta make a site like this for me too-lol! ;)

If at some point I want to create a third type of customer that has administrative access I would then create a user gallery. Perhaps the photographer I am doing this web site for might want that should he want to let customers upload their own photos at some point. All in all the good thing about doing it this way is that there is less hacking to allow something like that to possibly happen someday.

Now here is my problem...

When Steve Mitchell logs in to his album he is not taken to it. He is logged in and all, but he is not brought to directly to his album or rather to the albums that he is a group member of. If there were someway to alter the login so when a customer does log in they are taken to the albums they are a group member of....? If that could be figured out I bet many people out here using Coppermine would really find that extremely beneficial. I know there are many out here that are in the same situation. I have been trying to alter and play with the login, but still no luck....so you read this far, any ideas?

Thanks,
dondo521

by the way I promise to edit this down to a more concise tutorial should a solution to the login problem be found. Again I bet there are alot of people in my shoes... ;)

radianation

• Radianation
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 09:01:36 am »

Well, here is an idea that may or may not work for your purposes right now.

Modify the theme so that there are minimal navigational buttons. Essentially, don't give them an option to go outside of their album. Design a basic PHP login page using NT authentication or the apache equivalent. This will be a generic login/pw just to keep people out of the folders. Ok. Your photographer sends them their exact link. ie. thumbnails.php?album=13

This is all they see.
They can cheat and get around it by changing album=13 to album=12, but you already said they were not going to be completey private.

For your purposes this might work. For mine, it's imperative that the users can't see other clients files or the file listing. I hope that the next version of coppermine has better administration of users and groups. =)

radianation

• Radianation
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 09:02:45 am »

I found this thread to be useful as well: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=10596.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.