Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate Thumbnail Uploads ?  (Read 12912 times)

Chopper

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • The Animation Corner
Separate Thumbnail Uploads ?
« on: February 09, 2005, 04:04:52 pm »

I was looking for a mod that would create animated GIF thumbnails, but there appears to be none.

However, I was thinking that if Coppermine could be hacked with a separate thumbnail field, so the user could "Browse" for their animated GIF, then "Browse" for their thumbnail, that this would eliminate the need for those ugly "No Image" icons.

Basically, it would be sort of like a manual thumbnail upload feature for files like Animated GIFs, MPEGs, SWFs, etc. This way, those ugly "No Image" icons will never appear.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 10:02:35 am by GauGau »

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Chopper

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • The Animation Corner
Re: Separate Thumbnail Uploads ?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:45:19 am »

http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/manual.php#cust_thmb

Thanks for the quick response, however I don't think this covers what I'm talking about. The point of the MOD or Code Edit would be to make it so that the Users, not the Admin, would be able to manually upload their custom thumbnail.

Based on the Coppermine Manual section for custom thumbnails, it says the following:

Uploading:
There are 2 ways to upload custom thumbnails:

1. Have an image already uploaded then upload a video via the upload page. (or vice versa) The video will share the thumbnail of the image.

2. FTP upload both the video and (thumbnail or image) then batch-add. If you FTP upload the thumbnail, the thumbnail will be shown instead of the default Coppermine thumbnail on the batch-add page. If you upload an image it will look like the screenshot. However, when the two files are added, the thumbnail of the image will be used by the video.

This appears to be only an Admin capable solution. Not something the user or member of the website could do on their own.

When the user is uploading their video, swf file, or animated gif, it would be nice if Coppermine had a "Custom Thumbnail Mod" that would provide the user with two fields:

First Browse Field) For browsing and uploading the original video, SWF, or animated GIF.
Second Browse Field) For manually uploading the cooresponding custom thumbnail that goes with their video, SWF, or animated GIF.

Like this:

(http://www.animationcorner.com/misc/thbsample1.jpg)

and then the confirmation screen like this:

(http://www.animationcorner.com/misc/thbsample2.jpg)

As of now, it appears that every time a user wants to upload a thumbnail for a video or animated GIF, either they have to do some "trick" which no normal member would have the patience to learn...or they have to email the admin and ask the admin to do it for them manually.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 04:51:14 am by Chopper »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:02:20 am »

good point, valid request imo.

Joachim

porkleton

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 08:26:26 am »

good point, valid request imo.

Joachim

I totally agree. Perhaps a "Video", "Flash", or "Audio" watermark on the thumb would be a good idea as well.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 01:01:25 pm »

We don't support watermarking as a core addition, sorry.  I do like the idea of adding a prefix or suffix to the caption telling what kind of file it is, unless it's an image.  I do this on my main start page on my personal site, but you can't see an example as I haven't added any non-image files lately.  I haven't changed the Coppermine files, but my mod wouldn't be hard to integrate I think.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.