Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few ideas related to image comments  (Read 47105 times)

Astrik

• Coppermine newbie
A few ideas related to image comments
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:44:39 am »

Well, my image gallery was flooded by kiddies who thought it was KEWL to post comments on every single image and inappropriate comments that launched flamewars (it's not a forum, darn it!) so I finally decided to turn off commenting. In future developments, I'd like an option require approval before comments go up and a way to batch delete comments. When I turned off commenting, I figured I should delete all the comments I had and ended up making my wrist sore in the process. I realize it's possible to ban specific ips from commenting, but by the time I got there, the damage had already been done.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 08:18:46 am by GauGau »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: A few ideas related to image comments
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 05:47:53 am »

Do you know you can use your groups control panel to set who can and who can't post comments?  I usually prohibit anonymous users from posting.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Astrik

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 05:49:36 am »

Yes, but I don't allow uploading or anything like that, so I don't have registration turned on. I thought about turning it on just now, but then I'd just have registered users doing all of that, so it really wouldn't accomplish anything. I suppose that would stop the individuals who just posted so they could look KEWL (sorry about typing that, but it really was that awful  ::) ) posting as "bitch" and "yo mama" but the real issue is that I had no control over what went up.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:51:25 am »

You misunderstand my point.  Change Anonymous Can post comments to no.  Registration has nothing to do with it.  Or do you mean that you allow anyone to post comments because you don't have any members?
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

Astrik

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:52:45 am »

It's off now. But I still had to check off all the comments one by one to delete them.

Since comments went up without approval, I was often unable to get there before stuff erupted.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:57:21 am »

Until a mod can be made, that's the only way to control the problem.  Happened to me also, and that's how I stopped it.  I believe this would be a useful option for people who don't have members and who primarily use it to display personal pictures, etc.  To delete all the comments, you can use phpMyAdmin to delete the offending comments from the cpg_comments table.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:21:05 am »

I can see the point, that's why I will add these items to the "todo"-list for developers:
  • modify the "review comments" page to enable the admin to sort by date, user, text, pic
  • enable an approval field in comments table, similar to "upload approval"
  • add rel="nofollow"  attribute to links to make comment spamming less attractive
Please note that there's no saying when this will be implemented.

Joachim

Alisa

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 10:11:54 am »

Hallo Astrik

I had the same problem. My private gallery was flooded with nasty comments twice.

Therefore I asked for a time based POST-action-limit-feature for comments, upload etc.
You can read my idea on this post:
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=13848.0

With the requested feature it would be possible to set the time to wait after each post, to be able to post again.

Of course it would not stop anyone from posting trash to your gallery but it could protect the gallery from being fooded with trash.

I think you made the right decision by turning the approval function on
I did the same in my case and now I have more polite comments than ever.  ;)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 08:18:33 am »

Comment approval has been added as a feature to the devel branch as well as comment captcha option. This should take care of most issues users have with comments. Marking thread accordingly.

forumGuy201

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »

Comment approval has been added as a feature to the devel branch as well as comment captcha option. This should take care of most issues users have with comments. Marking thread accordingly.

Great, that should solve the problem...however no entirely, because people who want to spam the gallery won't know that this comment moderation had been applied (at least not in the first time) which adds a lot of work on the person moderating his comments. It is a temp solution however

But isn't there a mod that can tell if the comment is spam or abusive? i mean kinda like the Spam filter in Yahoo email for example.
 *Link Removed*  for Link building

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 11:51:47 pm »

Read the Manual
This is not a Support thread.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:09:27 am »

Locking and banning forumGuy201, as he has already done the same thing on another non-support thread. Both his signature (that shows he tried to cheat when registering his account) as well as the country/flag choice that represents another country than he's actually from according to his IP address indicate that his intentions are not welcome here. Additionally, he failed to respect board rules.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.