Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: move parent category pictures to subcategory. Is this possible?  (Read 6663 times)

BOO3

• Coppermine newbie

Hi,

since I can't move a parent into a child. Is there a way I can move my pictures from parent category to subcategory? Or this is a hack I have to pay someone to do?

Any input would be great. Thanx!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:48:35 am by donnoman »

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
Re: move parent category pictures to subcategory. Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 06:27:30 am »

I'm totally confused as to what you are trying to do.

Lets be clear about terminology:

Categories hold albums or other categories, no pictures.

Albums only hold pictures and can be assigned to categories;

You should probably read the documentation specifically regarding the number of categories to display and show first level album thumbnails before you go much further.

After checking the docs and you need more clarification post an example of what you want to do.

BOO3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 07:03:39 am »

Sorry for the confusion. What I was hoping to accomplish is to "copy" an album into a subcategory or even "move" it. See below for structure:

*Category1
    *Album1
*SubCategory1
    *Album1

Is this possible? My purpose is to use Subcategory1 as an archive while Category1 is periodically updated. I hope this makes sense.

PS Thanks for the prompt reply.

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 07:34:03 am »

I'm still not entirely sure what you're after.

Nothing precludes you from nesting categories, or even having albums with the same name.

Let me take a stab at what I think your after and tell me if I'm right.

You want to have main category say "Planes" where you will store ... pictures of planes what else?

Then you want an album that's "Picks of The Month"  where you will place 30 of your featured pics.

You want to keep an archive of all of your possible "Picks of the Month" maybe 500 different images; but not necessarily show them to everybody, and then you want to move images in and out of those two albums.

If thats the case this is what I would do:

Create a category called "Planes"

Create two albums: "Picks of the Month" and "archive" assign them to category "Planes"

In config set "show private album icon to unlogged user" to "no"  in order to hide the archive album.

On album "Picks of the Month" set album can be viewed by "everybody"

On album "archive" set album can be viewed by "admins"

Upload pics to your archive album.

click "edit files" on your archive album, and you can selectively promote them (change thier assigned album) to the "Picks of the Month" album.

When your done with them in the "Picks of the Month" do the same thing, edit files, and send them back to the archive.

Home run or foul ball?

BOO3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 08:25:32 am »

Donnoman,

youre right on the money (+more)!! Terrific.

BOO3

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 12:50:31 pm »

Just as a note on this, in the next version, 1.4, you can have files in more than 1 album, so you won't have to actually move the pics, just add a keyword.

Also, I have done a pic of the day/week/month hack, ready for 1.4, that will show an individual pic on the index page(like anycontent), or another page outside coppermine, that has an archive album built in as a meta album, so you can go to this album and see the previous pics of the day/week/month in the reverse order they where used.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

BOO3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 12:42:40 am »

Casper,

I'm salivating for 1.4. Its been so long since CPG's last release, but I'll sit tight for this one.......

</Pls. close subject>

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.