Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie question: Usergroup permissions on albums and categories  (Read 5463 times)

PBa

• Coppermine newbie
Newbie question: Usergroup permissions on albums and categories
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »

I'm a new user to Coppermine and i realy like it alot. I only have a vew questions:

My plan is to create two or three groups. One for my work, one for holiday etc. I don't want my collegaes to upload photo's into my holiday category. But i want to give them the possiblity to create many albums in the work category.

This is what i did:

I created a new usergroup. Users in this group do not need permission from the admin to upload photo's
I created a new category with some albums.

When a user in this group uploads photo's he can only select a album to upload the photo to where the option "Visitors can upload files" is set to Yes. But my user is not a Visitor but a user.

I can't find an option to link the usergroup to the category.

How can i setup a category (or album) where only users from one group can upload photo's to. I want the photo's to be viewd by everybody.

Nibbler

Re: Newbie question: Usergroup permissions on albums and categories
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 06:34:45 pm »

Visitor means anyone who visits the album, not specifically a guest user.

PBa

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 07:24:28 am »

Yes, that's my point.

How can i configure it so that only users of a specific group can upload pictures to a category or album.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 05:10:45 pm »

you specify the group(s) that are allowed to upload in the groups control panel. If you enable "Visitors can Upload" in album properties, all users who are members of groups that are allowed to upload will be able to do so. Please refer to the documentation as well that comes with coppermine.

Joachim

PBa

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 10:37:01 am »

Are there any impovements planned for the authorisation-model of Coppermine. I realy like Coppermine, but authorisation is terrible. This would be the only reason to stop using it. There must be some logic to it, but i did not discover it yet. Understand me correct... I realy like it alote. Specialy the use of templates and e-card. I just can set it up the way i like.

I see a lot of questions on the forum about how to give certain users or groups more rights to a category or album. I would suggest a change where you can make a group admin for a category. This was users in that group can update pictures and create albums. I wanted to setup 2 categories. One for my collegaes and one for family. I only want collegaes to maintain their category and albums. I want my family to do their own maintenance.

I think most people want to use Coppermine with a group of users. And they don't want all users to have the same rights. They would like to give people rights to upload to certain albums and not to all public albums. A suggested change would be to add a list of checkfield to the category configuration where you can bind a group to a category.

Another strange thing is that you can give visitors upload rights, but if you do so, they can upload to all albums that have the option 'Visitors can upload files' set to true. If you don't want visitors to upload to a certain albums it automatically means that also the registered users can't upload to that album anymore. It would be an improvement if these two would be split in users and visitors. In stead of yes/no

I realy hope you appriciate my feedback.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 09:00:02 am »

A more granular permission system is planned for cpg2.0 (cpgNG), but it still is in planning stage - don't expect a release too soon. To be realistic: a year would be a good estimate...

Joachim

itsa

• Coppermine novice
    • itsa
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 10:39:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
I think most people want to use Coppermine with a group of users. And they don't want all users to have the same rights. They would like to give people rights to upload to certain albums and not to all public albums. A suggested change would be to add a list of checkfield to the category configuration where you can bind a group to a category.
Just a note of agreement with the request, except the way I'd use it wouldn't be connected to categories. I have separate public albums that I want one person each to be able to upload to. (Albums are pix of houses under construction, and the user/uploader would be the builder.) Permissions would keep one builder from accidentally, or intentionally, uploading pix into another builder's album. Also important for the builder to be able to edit the comments and keywords for pix within the album. Right now they have to email the pix to the administrator, who uploads them, etc.

And a note of thanks to the admin here for the positive response. Hearing that it's planned for 2.0 is good news indeed...timeframe isn't as big a deal as knowing it's on the list. Helps me have a plan for how to use this cool product. Thanks.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:18:17 am »

@itsa: that's what personal galleries are for - each user can only upload to his individual personal (user) gallery, nobody else can.

Joachim

StarGumbo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 03:30:26 am »

I was trying to find the same solution, and due to the limitations of the software I came up with a work-around.

Set your Members group pub. upl. approval to yes, and the Groups pub. upl. approval to no.  This way members of groups can freely upload images to albums with 'Visitors can upload files' set to yes.  If members upload bunk images, you can simply deny approval.

No, it's not perfect but it worked for me for now.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 08:06:43 am »

::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.