Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album List - Not exactly what you would think?  (Read 7097 times)

sigepjedi

• Coppermine frequent poster
Album List - Not exactly what you would think?
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:53:18 am »

I would that the "Album List" would be more of a listing of the Album & its categories. Like the 'Categories' or catlist feature on the home page.

My concern is that there is no way to display the categories without using the 'catlist' feature on the homepage.

My reason for not wanting to display this on the homepage is that I have just too many categories in my coppermine. If I pull 'catlist' off the homepage, then there is no way for users to view all these categories, which is honestly the meat and patatoes here.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
Re: Album List - Not exactly what you would think?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:26:19 am »

Well I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Your albums are your "meat and potatos" thats the whole reason for the gallery. Categories are just for navigation if you have a ton of albums.

Category Navigation is handled by index.php, albums are handled by thumbnail.php.

If your category navigation is getting unwieldy have you turned off "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" that might simplify the display enough.

sigepjedi

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 02:27:23 am »

Yea, that certainly helps. It just seems like there should be a page, like catlist (with "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" on). Like the other types, lastup - lastcom - random - ect.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:08:58 am »

???

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 12:00:44 pm »

Just to re-iterate what has been said a few times, the 'album list' link is not a home link, otherwise it would say home, as the home link does in the breadcrumb.

It is a link that takes you to the album list ( ::)) of the category you are currently in.  It only takes you to the home page if you are not in a category specific page.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

sigepjedi

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 12:03:03 am »

ok....

I have 4 Album Categories, each of these contain Sub Categories.

For instance:

Pictures (Category)
> Parties (sub cat)
> Cars (sub cat)
> Magazines (sub cat)

Now, when catlist is added on the main page content this is the only way to view all the categories and their sub categories, granted "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" is set to yes.

Setting "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" to 'No' shows the main categories, however there is not a way to view all the sub categories.

Which then makes it look like there is hardly any content in my site because you can only see the 4 Top Level Categories.

When you click a top level category, it would seem if there were sub categories that you would then get a listing of them, like when "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" is set to yes. But, you do not. You just get a view that is powered from the Configs "The content of the main page".

Which is back to my topic " Album List - Not exactly what you would think"

is this becoming ANY clearer????

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 12:29:00 am »

In config, change the ' Number of levels of categories to display' to a higher level, it will show the cats and sub cats.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

sigepjedi

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 01:28:41 am »

Ive tried that as well, with no luck. No Luck because that only works if "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" is set to 'Yes'. If this is set to 'NO' which gives me what I want on the homepage, then even when you click one of the main level categories, you do not see the sub-cats. Because its running of the MAIN page settings, as described in my last post.

Its almost as if there needs to be another level for this to function properly.

My Site is:
http://Bams-world.com

Current Settings:
Number of levels of categories to display: 20
The content of the main page: breadcrumb/random,2/lastcom,4/catlist/anycontent/onlinestats/lasthits,1
Show first level album thumbnails in categories: No

The homepage shows a listing of the top level categories, but when you click them, you only get a small viewing of pictures, again driven from the content of main page settings:

which is images, lastcomments, last viewed

You dont see any of the sub categories, and you cant even view the selected top level category images. No paging nothing. It would appear as though there is minimal site content. However if I were to turn "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" back to YES (not what I want) Then you get to see everything, all sub categories, and you can page through all the pages of images.

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 05:58:57 am »

From what I can see of your site without registering, you said you had this:

Pictures (Category)
> Parties (sub cat)
> Cars (sub cat)
> Magazines (sub cat)

but thats not what it appears you have, especially from your description, you have this:

Code: [Select]
Pictures (Category)
> Parties (ALBUM)
> Cars (ALBUM)
> Magazines (ALBUM)

an ALBUM is not a "Sub Category" a sub category is a nested category configured on the catmgr.php page.

Categories can hold other categories or albums; no pictures.

Albums hold pictures and are leaf objects of categories.

If you want an intermediate level of navigation then create nested categories, then attach your albums to the appropriate category.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 08:47:00 am »

You're running cpg1.3.0, which contained some bugs. Upgrade to the most recent stable release cpg1.3.2.
Additionally, you posted in the sub-board "general discussion", which is not meant for actual support (as the board description clearly says). Moving this thread to the support board that corresponds to your coppermine version (in which you should have started the thread in the first place).

Joachim

sigepjedi

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 04:40:14 pm »

My apologies for the incorrect board/thread post.

GauGau, thanks for addressing this. Are there any 1.3.2 core files which could simply be replaced from my 1.3, without overwriting everything? I obvioulsy have added quite a few mods to this, and it would suck to have to go back through and apply them all agian.

Thanks Again!

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 04:55:18 pm »

That's the problem with mods and upgrades - it's kind of an "all or nothing" thing.  Most everything was changed in some way or another - replacing one or two files will most certainly break your gallery.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 07:02:37 pm »

What you can do is use WinMerge, which not only shows differences in lines between two files, but whether files in a folder are different from each other. Compare the folder of your version to the unmodded v. 1.3.2. You can see which files have changed. You can then look at those files and see where things changed within the files.

sigepjedi

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 03:57:56 pm »

What you can do is use WinMerge, which not only shows differences in lines between two files, but whether files in a folder are different from each other. Compare the folder of your version to the unmodded v. 1.3.2. You can see which files have changed. You can then look at those files and see where things changed within the files.

NICE! good call!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 03:58:39 pm »

issue solved, case closed?

Joachim

sigepjedi

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 09:42:59 pm »

Well, the winMerge was a nice start, but unfortunatly didnt really seem to help. I can certainly see the differences in the files, but nothing has seemed to fix this.

Ive looked through and compaired every file, unless ive missed the holy grail file of all files, and there doesnt seem to really be that many changes. However, I did modify my files to the 1.3.2, and this still doesnt function correctly.

Could you point me in the right direction as to where this functionality takes place?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 10:41:00 pm by sigepjedi »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 07:18:07 am »

no, you were suppossed to do this the other way round: use winmerge to see the differences between a standard coppermine 1.3.0 install and your file versions, note the changes you applied and the completely and utterly replace all files on your server with the ones from the cpg1.3.2 package. Then test-drive your site. If everything is working as expected, start modding the default cpg1.3.2 files by re-applying your modifications (you noted in the first place). Do not re-introduce errors from the cpg1.3.0 package; the changes have been small, but it's very likely that you ahven't fully applied all fixes from cpg1.3.2 to your files.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.