Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No admin rights availlable anymore nore user mode.  (Read 5384 times)

Trexxz

• Coppermine newbie
No admin rights availlable anymore nore user mode.
« on: January 16, 2005, 12:54:04 pm »

I formated my computer and after that i can log in but it won't show that i'm logged in and  no functions for admin mode or user mode are available anymore.
When i try to log in on a friends computer it al works fine so it has to be that my computer is blocking something.
 ???
http://www.fun4wheels.nl/cpg132/index.php

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:08:48 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: No admin rights availlable anymore nore user mode.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 01:00:41 pm »

browser settings, personal firewall software, "Internet security" software, computer clock off etc.
There are various things that can cause this, all are not related to coppermine, but improper client configuration. Please search the board for details, this has been asked before.

Joachim

Trexxz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 08:50:17 am »

I checked everything and all should be right. Next i tried PHPMyadmin and looked into the config table. The cookie path value is "/" and then nothing... :-\\
I remember from installing the script there was a section where i had to give the path to were the cookies are stored... Could it be that the path is erased? And in what format do i have to write the path? I searched the board for an example but no succes.

http://www.fun4wheels.nl/cpg132/index.php

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 08:12:16 am »

send me a PM that contains:
- reference URL to this thread
- link to your site
- admin user name and password

Joachim

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 11:01:19 am »

from the PM you sent me:
Quote from: Trexxz
sinds the problem started after formating and my C drive is empty now i formated again to make sure i did not messed things up with XP or something. I have a clean XP again and added  my domain to the trusted sites for allowing cookies etc.
I do not have strange firewalls or something... just have Norton internet security and i can't find anything there that relates to cookies.
Norton Internet Security is notorious for messing with all sorts of options. Temporarily shut it down to see if things work then as expected. With
"Internet security" software
I exactly was refering to "Norton Internet Security", don't you think? Imo this software s**ks, as it lures users into a false feeling of security, while only addressing minor privacy problems, but not fixing actual security threats.
I was able to log in fine with the admin account you PMed me (mind you other folks who might be reading this thread: do not send me or any other supporter any log in details unless we request you to do so; in fact, don't PM us at all for support), so once you get rid of this stupid software or manage to set it up correctly, you should be fine.

[rant]
Oh, and while you're at it: if you should find out that it's above mentioned "Security software" that is to blame for the troubles you had, remember to burn the cd and box as well, and tell your friends about the software being crap.
I'm an IT pro for years, and I have come across many people (friends, family etc.) I helped with computer related problems during my spare time (I had no choice - like I said: family! ::); I don't do individual home user support for a living). Everywhere I went, the Norton Security products caused more problems than they actually solved. They can not be run with non-admin accounts (which makes the pc much more vulnerable), which is a silly thing especially for a software that is meant to cure and prevent security related issues). So, Symantec: sue me if you want, but currently I can not recommend one single Norton product... :o
[/rant]

Joachim

Trexxz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 11:12:55 am »

Shutting down Norton was one of the first things i tried after reading your comments about the security software. I didn't help. Maybe afer uninstalling it but then i have no protection at all  :P

I'm gonna think about what to do now.. the XP firewall isn't much either. If u have a recommendation for what security to use best i'm all ears.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 10:32:39 pm »

Depends on what level of "security" you need?
  • Firewall
    The built-in "personal firewall software" of Windows XP SP2 is ok imo, it does what you'd expect of such a software. If you want real protection, use a "real" firewall (built in hardware). Most soho cable/dsl routers have a built-in firewall that works pretty good and is set up fine by default. If you want a "personal firewall software" that is capable of doing a bit more than the built-in version of WinXP, you could take a look at ZoneAlarm that is available as "security package" and stand alone app as well, or you could take a look at the Kerio Personal Firewall. Bottom line: use a hardware one, they have become very cheap.
  • Virus Scanner
    It's mandatory to have an up-to-date virus scanner. There are many good ones - I prefer TrendMicro products - the best scanner for soho users is OfficeScan imo. Another company I can recommend is Bitdefender - they have packages for all needs and even a free AV scanner that is pretty good (compared to other free products, of course it doesn't give you the full level of protection a commercial product can offer you). The free scanner is especially helpfull for people on dial-up connections, as the virus pattern updates are small-sized files.
  • Operating System
    It's mandatory to run all bugfixes, patches etc. you can get asap if you're using M$ products, that's why I strongly suggest you enable automatic updates and visit both the Windowsupdate and Officeupdate sites on a regular basis to keep an eye on recommended (optional) fixes as well, and to keep your office products (especially MS Outlook) uop to date. The blaster and sasser disasters should be well known...
    Of course you're also recommended to make up your mind on using other operating systems (e.g. Linux): although they're not bug-free, the risk of security threats is only minimal (when compared to using M$ products)
  • permissions
    A virus, trojan or other malware can only run malicious code if the user it runs under has the privileges to do so. Most users on Windows 2000 and Windows XP work with admin accounts for their daily business - you mustn't do that! Your everyday account should be a restricted user account, not an admin account. Use the admin account only when necessary, e.g. to install a new software or driver. Most viruses and other malware can run nor spread if you're not logged in as admin. It's a pity that on default Windoze installs, all users are admins, and the Windows manual doesn't have much to say. There are also some applications (like "Norton Internet Security") that need admin permissions to be run, which is of course silly and defeats the whole security concept
  • Use safer software
    Most viruses and malware find their way to your computer over Internet browsing (www pages) and emails, using exploits of known weaknesses of the well-known M$-products "Internet Explorer" and "Outlook/Outlook Express". Simply don't use them any longer. Recommended alternative: Mozilla Firefox as browser and Mozilla Thunderbird as email client.
Joachim

Trexxz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 04:36:39 pm »

Hello again... problem still there... i'm writing on my friends computer for this one is the same as it is for almost two years.

What i thought would happen just happend. I logged in via this pc as Admin like i have done months ago before ( before the problem begon). -This way i have full options -

Next i tried to register via this pc as a new user and now i can log in but no user mode or anything like that - the problem as we started on this one  -

Could it be that along the way something in the script is messed up by me that writes something to a computer on first acces to the script? I expect that would be cookies, but why does the script write cookies (as it is, i checked) and no  admin or user mode is given. (Browser on this pc accepts cookies)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 08:14:06 am »

well, what could I say? It works OK for me.

Joachim

Trexxz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:56:45 am »

Shoot me .... just as a gave up on it because i checked everything over and over and over , i thought about the line under your posts... "get firefox"

Well i did and it works!

i know, you told me so....  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.