Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Showing categories only (and not albums) on the main page of my gallery?  (Read 4418 times)

somerhalderfan

• Coppermine newbie

[edit] I'm sorry; I figured it out. =X
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:33:39 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Showing categories only (and not albums) on the main page of my gallery?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:45:39 am »

If you figure something out, you should not delete your post. You should leave the question and reply back with the answer so that others can benefit. Now, this thread is useless. The point of a forum is for people to learn from other people's experiences.

Behavior like yours undermine the value of forums.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 12:52:18 am by TranzNDance »

somerhalderfan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:08:00 am »

Actually, one action does not give you the right to judge my behavior as a whole. I'm an admin of a graphics forum and have moderated many other forums; I know what the point of them is and I'm not stupid. I figured that since this question doesn't seem to have been asked in the past, no one has had a problem figuring it out. This question was not a matter of me not being able to figure out how to do something; it was a matter of me simply overlooking a part of the 'Config' page. & Where in this forum does it say that I should answer my question if I realize the answer? The last time I checked, this was a Support Forum. In other words, you can safely assume that you can come to this forum for help and not to give it. Sure, I like to help people, and though I hate to be blunt, my sole objective in coming here was to fix my problem, not to fix everyone else's problems (especially considering the fact that I just started using Coppermine). And by the way, the point of forums is not to put down the posts of others either.  ;) Not all forums are exactly like this one and this is the first time that I've actually tried to use a support forum. It's helpful of you to suggest that I explain how I fixed my problem. However, it's not helpful to tell me that my behavior 'undermines the value of forums.' (and just in case you haven't realized by now-- I didn't delete my post; I edited it.)

Behavior like mine might undermine the value of forums but at least I know how to be nice, grruuump.  ::)

Anyways, if anyone actually was wondering, here's what I did:
I went to the 'config' page, looked below the 'Album list view' heading, and selected the 'no' option to the right of the text, 'Show first level album thumbnails in categories'. <3

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 01:33:16 am »

obviously we have different views about what a forum is for and how you should behave when using it. I can not sympathize with your point of view, however I appreciate you finally posted what you did to fix your issue. It appears though that you even double-posted: Hiding subcategories so that they do not show up on the main page? contains nearly the identical question that you were able to solve by reading the documentation that comes with coppermine...

Joachim
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:39:04 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:39:29 am »

Actually, one action does not give you the right to judge my behavior as a whole. I'm an admin of a graphics forum and have moderated many other forums; I know what the point of them is and I'm not stupid. I figured that since this question doesn't seem to have been asked in the past, no one has had a problem figuring it out. This question was not a matter of me not being able to figure out how to do something; it was a matter of me simply overlooking a part of the 'Config' page. & Where in this forum does it say that I should answer my question if I realize the answer? The last time I checked, this was a Support Forum. In other words, you can safely assume that you can come to this forum for help and not to give it. Sure, I like to help people, and though I hate to be blunt, my sole objective in coming here was to fix my problem, not to fix everyone else's problems (especially considering the fact that I just started using Coppermine). And by the way, the point of forums is not to put down the posts of others either.  ;) Not all forums are exactly like this one and this is the first time that I've actually tried to use a support forum. It's helpful of you to suggest that I explain how I fixed my problem. However, it's not helpful to tell me that my behavior 'undermines the value of forums.' (and just in case you haven't realized by now-- I didn't delete my post; I edited it.)

Behavior like mine might undermine the value of forums but at least I know how to be nice, grruuump.  ::)

Anyways, if anyone actually was wondering, here's what I did:
I went to the 'config' page, looked below the 'Album list view' heading, and selected the 'no' option to the right of the text, 'Show first level album thumbnails in categories'. <3
Since you pride yourself on being a taker instead of giver, I don't think I'll be taking lessons on being nice from you. :P

somerhalderfan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 06:31:23 am »

Yes, I do believe that our opinions on how to use a forum are indeed different, especially considering the fact that TranzNDance was willing to take seven entire minutes out of her time just to insult my post and my behavior. But that's okay. (by the way: asking for help really doesn't have anything to do with whether a person is nice or not. and I never said that I prided myself on needing to fix my problem and not being able to help fix the problems of others.)

The threads were nearly identical but the two issues that I addressed needed to be resolved in different ways (using different parts of 'Config') and I didn't know that they could be resolved in nearly the same way at that time (which is why I was asking for help in the first place). And I was actually a bit confused by parts of the documentation.

I'm very grateful for the Coppermine program and for the help that I have been given on this board and I wish I could help others with the program more at this time but currently, I am so inexperienced with using it that trying to help anyone else with it would probably be a bad idea (considering that I don't want to give anyone incorrect advice). Maybe I'll come back to try to help other new Coppermine users if I'm able to learn how to use Coppermine efficiently.

P.S. Just a suggestion: Could someone please make it easier for a forum newb to understand that he/she should add the answer to his/her question to his/her topic if they're able to find it? Honestly, I had no idea and part of my being rude/immature was simply a result of the fact that I was bewildered by the sudden put-down of my behavior for something when I didn't even realize it was wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.