Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export the whole gallery to static HTML  (Read 8140 times)

karloch

• Coppermine newbie
Export the whole gallery to static HTML
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:39:50 pm »

Hi,

I'm user of CPG 1.3.2 and I'm very pleased with it. My group of friends and myself are using every day the gallery uploading new photos. The problem is that the gallery is growing bigger and bigger and some day there won't be anymore space on the HD to host it. I do not want to resize the pictures because we want to keep the original full-sized ones.

So the idea is to burn the entrie gallery to a DVD when her size is about 4 GB, and then flush the online gallery and start the process again. But the gallery is not just the pictures. The gallery are the categories, albums, photo titles, descriptions, comments and ratings, etc...

Because of that it would be great to make a way to export the entrie gallery to static HTML in order to view it in the DVD with the same layout and structure than the php version. This would include all database elements, as categories, comments, albums, etc... Everything static.

Would this export feature be viable on Coppermine?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 10:20:56 pm by donnoman »

Richy.nl

• Coppermine novice
    • Richy.nl - Professional Photography
Re: Export the whole gallery to static HTML
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:54:24 pm »

What you can do is look at www.digitalductch.com and download Arles Image Creator.

1. Make a webgallery BEFORE you put them on the Coppermine webserver
2. Send the webgallery over from the harddisk to the webserver
3. Leave the webgallery on the webserver
4. Leave a copy of the stuff on the harddisk

Arles does this proces:

1. Making thumbs
2. Resize photos
3. Add logo / watermark
4. creating static HTML
5. etc etc...

I'm using this software program for 5 years now. I can't live without it.... ;)

Look at the website: http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/description.htm

(http://www.richy.nl/e107/e107_themes/richy_theme/images/banner.gif)

karloch

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 08:43:33 pm »

A nice program, indeed. But that's not useful in my case, where a group of users are uploading pictures frenquently. Futhermore, I want to keep also the commenets and the ratings, save everything and get everything ready to view from a DVD using any webbrowser.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 08:54:09 pm »

hmm... I read somewhere about setting up php/mysql to run from a CD(or whatever removable storage media). If you can do that, plus put all your files on the same dvd, you can then have a portable, php-based gallery.

karloch

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 10:25:52 pm »

That's not quite logical. PHP is a serverside scripting language, so in order for the user to see the gallery it would need a webserver with a php interpreter as well as a mySQL database.

The idea is that the user with the DVD could open index.htm file and the see like the index.php of CPG. From there he could browse the galleries and take a look to every picture with the comments and the ratings there. Of course, as the content is now static, the user could no send any new data to the gallery since it is on a CD/DVD, designed to browse it offline.

Richy.nl

• Coppermine novice
    • Richy.nl - Professional Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 10:30:30 pm »

What you can do is suck the site empty with an offline browser... but it's very easy I think....

Think easy... think simple!

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:38:54 pm »

That's not quite logical. PHP is a serverside scripting language, so in order for the user to see the gallery it would need a webserver with a php interpreter as well as a mySQL database.
The point was to install PHP on the dvd itself. Instead of having the installation files on the hard drive of a server, which is basically a computer, you store all the server apps on the dvd. I don't know where the site is now, but it was describing how to install php on a removable drive so people can make presentations of php-based scripts without having access to a remote web server.

The reason why most people need a server to view PHP scripts is because they don't have the PHP processor on their computers. If they do, they don't need a remote webserver to view PHP.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 10:46:09 pm by TranzNDance »

karloch

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 11:17:19 pm »

The point was to install PHP on the dvd itself. Instead of having the installation files on the hard drive of a server, which is basically a computer, you store all the server apps on the dvd. I don't know where the site is now, but it was describing how to install php on a removable drive so people can make presentations of php-based scripts without having access to a remote web server.

That's very interesting. I'll try to search some info about. Please post here if you remember or find the website talking about this.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 11:17:49 pm »

The problem is that the gallery is growing bigger and bigger and some day there won't be anymore space on the HD to host it.

Sounds like you are planning for your Gallery to get up into the hundreds of gigabytes.

Are you self hosting?  If so, you should seriously consider getting a few huge hard drives and configure your server to span across them.  If you aren't self hosting, you should consider upgrading to a better hosting plan.

Those are my recommendations for you.  Believe me, you will be able to do both of them before you find someone to code the export feature you are looking for.

Sorry, but such a "feature" isn't very important to the dev team at this time; we have several projects going and simply can't spare the time to code something a handfull of people may want.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

karloch

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 11:48:55 pm »

Are you self hosting?  If so, you should seriously consider getting a few huge hard drives and configure your server to span across them.  If you aren't self hosting, you should consider upgrading to a better hosting plan.

Those are my recommendations for you.  Believe me, you will be able to do both of them before you find someone to code the export feature you are looking for.

Sorry, but such a "feature" isn't very important to the dev team at this time; we have several projects going and simply can't spare the time to code something a handfull of people may want.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find another way.

About installing PHP on removable media I found this: http://www.mbedthis.com/
It sounds quie interesting and it is also opensource. Now I have to find something about the SQL database.

pnear

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
    • http://www.thenears.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 11:11:25 pm »

You might want to try http://webstripper.net/, allows you to suck down an entire website to local static HTML.

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 10:20:21 pm »

winhttrack would do what you want; no changes necessary to coppermine code.

It's a GPL windows based app, that basicaly scrapes off the final html/ccs/images and creates an offline copy.

http://www.httrack.com/

I'm going to flag this request as invalid because it has little to do with Coppermine code.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 09:04:07 am »

...additionally, this has been requested before in the past, a search might have told you so...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.