Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Powered By" options in Config  (Read 6597 times)

caska

• Coppermine newbie
"Powered By" options in Config
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:17:51 pm »

Apologies for another mention of the "Powered By" line.  ;)

Would it be possible to offer a few (limited) options within the admin's Config page, such as a dropdown between Text vs. CPG Logo? A few placement options (Header, footer, etc)?

This would, IMO, give just enough customisation capability without encouraging hacks -- however, not being code-savvy myself, I don't know if this would compromise your laid-out copyright statement protection? (EG, make it's location more obvious, etc)

Thanks for your consideration either way :)

--Caska
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 09:53:35 pm by kegobeer »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: "Powered By" options in Config
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:53:20 pm »

Nope.  This issue is non-negotiable.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

caska

• Coppermine newbie
Clarification
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:16:30 pm »

Nope.  This issue is non-negotiable.

As far as I've read, the non-negotiable issue is the obvious and consistant presence of credit, not the format of said credit.

1. You have to give credit in a visible, obvious way.
2. However, if you're code-savvy enough to find and change the attribution line, you ARE allowed to change it's placement or format -- as long as it's kept obvious & visible.

The code-savvy change this line to the logo, or change it's placement, etc, all the time -- and are told that's ok as long as they don't give out knowledge that would allow removal of the credit.

What I seek is automation of actions that ARE allowed. This would not include removal capability, but limited drop-down style options for those of us who don't want to delve for hacks.

As I said, this might compromise the protections you've set up. I don't know. But I personally was not asking for something that is explicitly "non-negotiable."

Thanks for the response tho.

--Caska

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:38:31 pm »

This is the features request board.  You requested that users be able to have a choice of how the tag line is displayed, and I responded that the issue is non-negotiable, meaning that this isn't a valid request.  This is one of the few things we will not entertain changing.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 05:50:54 am »

Doing what you're requesting would make it dead easy for people to strip the "Powered by Coppermine" tag completely: they'd just have to look for the if/then switch in the code and get rid of it, or they could replace the graphical link with a transparent 1-pixel image. That's why kegobeer said it's non-negotiable: we won't change it. You're free to show your support for coppermine by adding another graphical link pointing to coppermine.sf.net - feel free to use one of those graphics posted in http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=1611.0

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.