Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice urls with Apache's mod_rewrite  (Read 3625 times)

JensBman

• Coppermine newbie
Nice urls with Apache's mod_rewrite
« on: December 27, 2004, 08:29:31 pm »

Hi!

I saw one or two request of this but there were from like 2002-2003 so I thought its time to take it up again. The only problem I have with cpg right now is the url's. Its much nicer to tell a friend to go to www.backeman.se/gallery/miniscour04 than www.backeman.se/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=10, and url that they will never remember.

Im not sure how big trouble it is to implement it but I have seen a few very small gallerys have it so... Well, I just hope you will implement it soon.

Keep up the good work!!

Best regards,
Jenz
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 05:44:13 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Nice urls with Apache's mod_rewrite
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 08:38:04 pm »

I think the reason we can't do this is that not everyone has mod_rewrite access. It's nice to use such a URL but impractical when dealing with database-driven items at the scale that cpg does it. Who verbally tells people URLs that often anyway. People usually tell URLs via email/IMs.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 05:43:55 am »

TranzNDance is right (as always): putting this into coppermine's core code would result in coppermine not working for users on IIS and webhosting without mod_rewrite. I can see litlle point in narrowing down the number of users coppermine can have for the sake of just a nice-to-have feature. However, there are postings on mod_rewrite with coppermine on the mods board.
In other words: your request is turned down; you're recommended to use the mod instead.

Joachim

JensBman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 01:25:48 pm »

Ahh, found it. Thanks!

Well, I agree with one fellow that said something about autodetection and so on but I can understand the reasons why you don't want to implement it.

I'll try the mod. Thanks for your help!

/Jenz

partypics

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 12:21:03 am »

First of all I would like to thank the CPG developers community for such a great software!
I have read this thread http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=69.0 and done the modifications posted by Oasis to make nice url's to users galleries - and it worked fine in CPG 1.3.2
Just wanted to add my little improvement:
in original code a url like www.somesite.com/someuser
would work fine, but a url like www.somesite.com/someuser/ (with an ending "/") would fail.
To correct this you can add a line in .htaccess, redirecting www.somesite.com/someuser/ to www.somesite.com/someuser before other lines.
I used this regexp and it worked fine:
Code: [Select]
RedirectMatch ^/([a-z0-9&_=]+)/$ /$1
The second step, I think, is to make url's look like this:
www.somesite.com/someuser/album_name to point to a specific album. Users would love it.
I thought, that a redirect like
Code: [Select]
RedirectMatch ^/([a-z0-9&_=]+)/([a-z0-9&_=]+)$ /thumbnails.php?album=$2would work, but it does not in Apache 1.* because "?" is translated into "%3f" and you can't pass arguments to a redirected script. It seems to be an Apache bug, which have been fixed in Apache 2 (not sure about it though, read somewhere else).
RewriteRule works with this regexp, but not entirely suitable:
you are actually on www.somesite.com/someuser/thumbnails.php, not www.somesite.com/thumbnails.php and links dont work, css and images don't load correctly, etc.

Anyone has done it before? Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks.

PS
Sorry, it looks like I chose the wrong place for my post, please move it to appropriate topic  ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 12:33:52 am by partypics »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.