Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change of hosting service  (Read 4041 times)

solomcq

• Coppermine newbie
Change of hosting service
« on: December 27, 2004, 07:16:08 pm »

When I change from one hosting service to another will my photo gallery remain active???

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Change of hosting service
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:34:47 pm »

You will have to export/import the database, and upload the files, which you can download from your old host, or get from this site. The latter is better (if you don't have mods) since you would get the most up-to-date version.

Not sure what you mean about the gallery being active... do you mean with the old host? That's something you need to figure out with your host.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 08:12:03 pm by TranzNDance »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 08:09:07 pm »

If your question is "Can a coppermine gallery be transferred from one server to the other?", then the answer is yes:
1) Backup all files
2) Backup the database (create a dump using phpMyAdmin)
3) Upload all files to your new server
4) Restore the database on the new server using phpMyAdmin once more
5) Edit include/config.inc.php on your new server to reflect your new database settings
6) Access your coppermine gallery on your new server (using your browser), log in as admin, go to config and change "target for ecards" if necessary).

Maybe you got confused this a bit: you can take a domain name with you from one webhost to another (as usually you are the owner of the domain, not your webhost), but there's no automatism that the content of your webpage will be moved from one server to the other - you have to do this manually (as described above).

Joachim

solomcq

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 11:05:25 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm practically computer illiterate so I don't understand how to do what I need to do. 

My current hosting service says the website creation software I'm using does not support php but my photo gallery works fine.

The new service I want to switch to says their system does not support it either but I can create a redirect page which I have done and it works fine on the temporoary version of the new service. 

Does my redirect page route through my existing hosting service or directly to Coppermine?  I have nearly one hundred photos on the site, many with comments and I hate to lose them as a result of the switch in hosting services.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 11:48:54 pm »

You don't need to touch the code except the edit what GauGau said to edit. And that could be done with a regular text editor like Notepad/Wordpad.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 05:22:13 am »

If you feel you can't accomplish what I was suggesting, I recommend you make up your mind what you'd be ready to pay to have this done by someone else. Post your budget here if you want to hire someone from the coppermine community (I don't say it is going to be a dev team member, and there's of course no guarantee someone will be ready to do the job) - if you want to pay someone, we will move this thread to the board Looking for Freelancers / Paid help for you (make sure to read the sticky thread sub-board rules, read first!).

Note: if your current webhost and/or your new webhost doesn't have a database manipulation tool installed, you (or the person you're going to hire) will have to set up phpMyAdmin (or a similar tool) on the webserver(s) that has no other db tool pre-installed before you will be able to backup/restore the database dump.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.