Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Powered By" options in Config  (Read 6563 times)

caska

• Coppermine newbie
"Powered By" options in Config
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:17:51 pm »

Apologies for another mention of the "Powered By" line.  ;)

Would it be possible to offer a few (limited) options within the admin's Config page, such as a dropdown between Text vs. CPG Logo? A few placement options (Header, footer, etc)?

This would, IMO, give just enough customisation capability without encouraging hacks -- however, not being code-savvy myself, I don't know if this would compromise your laid-out copyright statement protection? (EG, make it's location more obvious, etc)

Thanks for your consideration either way :)

--Caska
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 09:53:35 pm by kegobeer »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: "Powered By" options in Config
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:53:20 pm »

Nope.  This issue is non-negotiable.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

caska

• Coppermine newbie
Clarification
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:16:30 pm »

Nope.  This issue is non-negotiable.

As far as I've read, the non-negotiable issue is the obvious and consistant presence of credit, not the format of said credit.

1. You have to give credit in a visible, obvious way.
2. However, if you're code-savvy enough to find and change the attribution line, you ARE allowed to change it's placement or format -- as long as it's kept obvious & visible.

The code-savvy change this line to the logo, or change it's placement, etc, all the time -- and are told that's ok as long as they don't give out knowledge that would allow removal of the credit.

What I seek is automation of actions that ARE allowed. This would not include removal capability, but limited drop-down style options for those of us who don't want to delve for hacks.

As I said, this might compromise the protections you've set up. I don't know. But I personally was not asking for something that is explicitly "non-negotiable."

Thanks for the response tho.

--Caska

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:38:31 pm »

This is the features request board.  You requested that users be able to have a choice of how the tag line is displayed, and I responded that the issue is non-negotiable, meaning that this isn't a valid request.  This is one of the few things we will not entertain changing.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 05:50:54 am »

Doing what you're requesting would make it dead easy for people to strip the "Powered by Coppermine" tag completely: they'd just have to look for the if/then switch in the code and get rid of it, or they could replace the graphical link with a transparent 1-pixel image. That's why kegobeer said it's non-negotiable: we won't change it. You're free to show your support for coppermine by adding another graphical link pointing to coppermine.sf.net - feel free to use one of those graphics posted in http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=1611.0

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.