Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Create a FULL "Black&White" Coppermine Gallery from colored one ?(GD2 library)  (Read 9849 times)

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Hello World :-)
    • CPG 1.5.x ExperiMental website

i all,

With GD2 PHP library on my host, is it possible to create a full black and White Gallery from a FULL color Gallery (http://expo.pays-dignois.com)
Exemple : Through a new specific Coppermine Theme and the GD2 library (not yet create), can i translate all my picture in Black & White or SEPIA pictures ?

I want to create a new Theme, an old Gallery interface but with some pictures realised with a Nikon COOLPIX 5700 und ein CONTAX/Carl ZEISS .
Maybe the new Theme name will be : "RetroActiv-2005-1905" ;)

Many Thanx
Pascal

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website

You'd have to read the php/gd commands to see if it's possible to convert an image to black and white or sepia.  You'd probably have to create some sort of class that would do the converting.

Try www.php.net or boutell.com/gd.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

KegoBeer,

You'd probably have to create some sort of class that would do the converting.
It's not a chance  >:(
I'm not strong enough to produce myself this Hack...
Nobody in the past, post a similar wish, strange is'nt it ?
Black & White is a part of our Art, and never someone find this idea !

Pascal

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website

I don't know about you, but if I want a black and white picture, or a sepia colored picture, I take the picture with those settings.  I don't convert them with web based image manipulation packages.  I'm sure most people do the same - that's why this has never been a feature request.

As I don't have a need for this on my site, it's not a priority for me.  Maybe someone else will do the research and make a mod.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

I would agree with kegobeer. Besides, the "true" artist would be taking the photos in black & white in the first place, not depending on the questionable capabilities of a web-base image manipulation package.

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

eh Friends,

I'm a professionnal photographer since 1980 and a photographer since my first day !!!
I know the fondamental differences between Colors and B&W

My question was'nt : "produce black & white pictures with GD2, is it an ART or not ?" :\'(

My only wish is release a performance with Coppermine CSS and GD....... FULL POINT.

Pascal

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

a quick-and-dirty hack (at least for users with Internet Explorer) would be the use of Microsoft's proprietary filters that are easily applied client-sided:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/filter/filters.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/gray.asp
In fact, you just add the css attribute "filter:gray()" to the image - won't work in other browsers than IE, but won't hurt either...

Joachim

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

Yes Gau²,

Thanx a lot, you are understanding my so poor question (in english vocabulary) ;)

Yes my mission is : In a particular Theme, ALL of my Galery is now in Black and White.

Thanx a lot Gau²

Pascal

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

GauGau,

I had some problems with the CSS, i do not find the CSS Tag for all my pictures in GREY.
Your solution with MS IE6 filter: GREY very fine, it's nice, but it work only with the image in full size, not on all pictures (thumbails, intermediate...)
I'm disapointed

(i think, it's the IE cache who do not refresh my modifs)

(I try again)
Pascal

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl

I'm a bit confuzzled about the question. Do you want a gallery with a black&white layout or do you want the pictures held by the gallery to be displayed in black&white ?

In both cases i'd suggest a good decent graphics program, photoshop for example, to apply some greyscaling to either the gallery layout graphics or the pictures you want displayed on the gallery.

Or i'm totally missing the point and i shoot shut up :)

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

Ein,
Or i'm totally missing the point and i shoot shut up

Yes totally !

Well from the beginning :
I'm the owner of http://expo.pays-dignois.com SHE is a colored Gallery with 2 Themes (perso Themes from Coppermine, and DaMysterious Themes)
I want to create a 3thd Theme (Today the name is Xtra-Z-Old, and not "RetroActiv-2005-1905")
This new Theme will create Greyscale image for all images in my Gallery (with Thumb etc...)

I'm a French user who made a real strong effort to write and read in english. Do you read two times with a special regard this Topic, to understand what i mean. GauGau two posts before this one, understand my Good idea.

Try this new Theme only for IE6 here : http://expo.pays-dignois.com/index.php?theme=Xtra-Z-Old (Today December 06 - 2004 under TEST. After this date maybe this Theme work fine)

Pascal
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 11:01:08 am by PYAP »

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl

k pardon my French ;)

Still sounds to me like you want greyscale images created online. webbased.. which sounds unreliable to me no matter what online filtering your using.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict

He doesn't want to have them created, he just wants them displayed in b&w.

So it depends which theme you are viewing as to how 1 pic is seen.  This will save on webspace for a large gallery.  I think Gaugaus idea of using filters is the way to go, but means you will have to browse with IE.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

chtito

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I run Mac OS X, despite the penguin ;)

Hi Pascal!

Let me tell you frankly: i don't like Gaugau's suggestion, because it will only work on IE, and the use of IE is discouraged for many reasons (security, conformance to the web standards).

Now i'm not sure to perfectly understand your request either: I assume that, for a certain theme only, you want (some? all?) pictures to be displayed in black&white? So you'd like Image Magick or GD to perform the transformation on the fly when the page is created or the full size picture is displayed. Is that right?

If that is what you want i'll have a look at what is possible.

Nous pouvons également poursuivre la discussion dans le forum français dont tu es un des si brillants animateurs ! :)
Vous pouvez poser vos questions en français sur le forum francophone !

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I'm aware that the IE-only filters are not a good idea, that's why I said it was a quick-and-dirty solution. But after all, this is only a matter of taste and design, users not using IE will just see the pics in color instead of b&w, they won't lose anything. I don't want to restart the discussion about browser manufacturers (and especially M$) creating pseudo-standards by implementing features not recommended by the W3C; there already have been heated debates elsewhere on the net. After all we're not discussing a core feature, but just a theme customization request...
The other option you suggested isn't ideal either: similar to on-the-fly watermarking, manipulation of pics that exist in RGB to be converted into b&w when accessed is a huge waste of resources on the server and will grind it to a halt in no time. A third alternative would be to create the b&w pics once and store/cache them, but then there's little point in this mod altogether: you're not saving webspace, the pics have to exist as color and b&w versions on the server.

Joachim

chtito

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I run Mac OS X, despite the penguin ;)

It was not my intention to start any debate whatsoever about the pseudo standards of some browser manufacturers! I'm just saying that it's not a good solution to have something that'll work only on IE because the use of IE is discouraged for many reasons, and, besides, is hardly ever used on mac and linux. I was therefore wondering if there would be some better solution, but...

I certainly agree that my solution is not perfect either. You're probably right that the server would get sluggish as h*ll :). In that case, your solution is the best we can do, as far as i can tell...

...so please forget my intervention on this whole thread. ;D

I get a bit touchy when it comes to explorer... sorry for that... :P
Vous pouvez poser vos questions en français sur le forum francophone !

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

@ All,

REFRESH my TOPIC Title by this one :
How to apply, on all of my pictures, this MS IE6.x FILTER => filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(grayscale=1) ?
I use BLACK-WIDDOW Theme by Damystemious.
I do not find the CSS Class in this Damysterious based THEME (for all images : thumbnails, img catlist, Full size... all img)

@Hein
k pardon my French
ok that's fun my Friendch :-))

@Chtito
Nous pouvons également poursuivre la discussion dans le forum français dont tu es un des si brillants animateurs !
brill....Humm humm a bon ???? :-)
Oui, bien sûre.  Mais ne pouvons-nous pas conclure ici, pour en fin de compte, redémarrer le même sujet sur Coppermine-Français/French ?

@Gau²
..the IE-only filters are not a good idea, that's why I said it was a quick-and-dirty solution.
..But after all, ..is only..taste and design, users not using IE will just see the..color instead of b&w, they won't lose anything.
Then, there's no problem to use this Theme.

After all we're not discussing a core feature, but just a theme customization request...
The other option you suggested isn't ideal .. to on-the-fly watermarking, manipulation ..when accessed is a huge waste of resources on the server and will grind it to a halt in no time. A third alternative ..to create the b&w pics once and store/cache them, but then there's little point in this mod altogether: you're not saving webspace, the pics have to exist as color and b&w versions on the server.
In first : Exactly, Gau². My request was just a performance with CSS or GD or IE6.x possibilty. Finally, all of you PHP GURU and others pures Devellopers, if your point of view about M$ IE 6.0 it's IE's not a robust browser, it's true but it's not my problem. My problem is +80% of my www's visitors use M$ IE+ !!! That's all !
Secondly i'm the owner of a very small web site with a www ~300 pages, Expo/gallery and a Forum. There're 300+ img on my Galley. You are understand easely, that's impossibble to place again the same 300 pictures in B&W !!!
OK, IE FILTER possibility is just THE simple solution. What better ? but with no charge on my www (GD or IM) and no uploads again ???? ;-))))
*PLUS* i'm in a Montain-Zone, with no DSL-2Mo/Bi-channel, just a simple poor and bad RNIS 64k, d'you see what i mean ?

Merci beaucoup
Pascal

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

...so please forget my intervention on this whole thread. ;D

uh-oh - don't get me wrong: I'm glad you intervened, imo it's good to discuss this and let Pascal hear a second opinion on this case.

I wouldn't mind if you decided to actually do the server-sided mod either, might be helpfull for some users who don't suffer from performance issues (low traffic sites with emphasis on cool styling might benefit from the mod), I wasn't going to give you any recommendations on what project you were going to address ;).

Imo the feature Pascal is requesting is a gadget (sort-of), and I think it's ok to code browser-specific gadgets as long as there's no impact on the core functionality of coppermine.

I guess the problem still is that most developers and power-users (who use alternative operating systems and browsers more often than the "average" mainstream user) tend to be militant against everything that is Microsoft'ish (and yes, this includes me as well), although many open source activists (especially from the linux section) have realized that combating the "enemy" M$ is not a very clever marketing strategy - instead we should explain/proof that both mainstream and alternative technology have advantages . I think part of our "mission" (if there is any ;)) is to create a platform-independent product and let users decide if they want to take the risk of applying patform-dependant technology (and losing visitors on the way) with it (as long as we tell them about the risks of platform-dependancy).

Joachim

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

REFRESH my TOPIC Title by this one :
How to apply, on all of my pictures, this MS IE6.x FILTER => filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(grayscale=1) ?
I use BLACK-WIDDOW Theme by Damystemious.
I do not find the CSS Class in this Damysterious based THEME (for all images : thumbnails, img catlist, Full size... all img)
Edit themes/black_widow/style.css, find
Code: [Select]
.image {
        color: White;
}
and replace with
Code: [Select]
.image {
        color: White;
        filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(grayscale=1);
}
Save and upload. That's all - pretty straightforward, don't you think ;). Works only for users browsing your page with IE5 or better. All other browsers will see color pics.

Joachim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 05:52:53 pm by GauGau »

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

GauGau,
Edit themes/black_widow/style.css, find
Thanx,
but...
I understand nothing...
If i'm asking for the CSS Class for all images thumbnails and all others, before my post, i tried to edit style.css, find, replace in the exact place you said in your previous post. The only one picture type who is in B&W is the Full size image, this one in the standalone window. I understand nothing......
And online, this Theme is totally outside the same Theme on Local ! i understand nothing.....

I will verify all my "; . ' and /," after i return here with a new great Theme :-)

Try this new Theme only for IE6 here : http://expo.pays-dignois.com/index.php?theme=Xtra-Z-Old (Today December 06 - 2004 under TEST. After this date maybe this Theme work fine)

Pascal
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.