Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help ... How to point photos hosted on a FTP server  (Read 3206 times)

Alain 91

• Coppermine newbie
Need help ... How to point photos hosted on a FTP server
« on: December 04, 2004, 12:14:16 pm »

Hi,

I have installed Coppermine on my ISP server, which manages PHP and MySQL. It works very well but my ISP allows a maximum of 100 MB. That is a huge limitation if I want to keep my photos in their original full size (jpeg large from a D70 camera).
All my photos are loaded in a very large USB HD directly connected to my router (Netgear WGT634U), the router manages the HD as a FTP server with access from the LAN or the WAN.
I would like to set Coppermine in order it points the photos hosted in the HD instead to upload them on the /albums directory on the ISP server.
As any FTP server, the files hosted in the HD are accessible through a static IP address and login/password (which can be configured in the router).
Do you know any tips to do that?

Thanks

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Need help ... How to point photos hosted on a FTP server
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 07:22:04 pm »

Please search the forums before posting.  You would've found that Coppermine doesn't support that.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Need help ... How to point photos hosted on a FTP server
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 01:32:16 pm »

as a sidenote (not related to your question): the term "ISP" (Internet Service Provider) usually means the person/company that let's your client access the internet (to browse pages, read your email etc.). The person/company that stores/hosts your homepage (running the server your site's files are on) is called "webhost". This means: "ISP" is not the same as "webhost" (although there are companies that offer a bundle made up of ISP and webhosting services). In your case, the correct term would have been "webhost".

Apart from the fact that coppermine doesn't support remote file storage, it's also a question of what is wise: if you host files on your own hardware, this means you're letting people access your box from within the internet - this is a security risk if you're not sure about all the consequences it has. Only experienced users who really know what they're doing are recommended to run a server that is accessible from the internet on their own. A server should imo always be a dedicated machine, it should never be used as a workstation/desktop client as well (and yes, I know what I'm talking about).

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.