Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online photograph legality  (Read 5238 times)

Zeitgeist

• Coppermine regular visitor
Online photograph legality
« on: December 03, 2004, 12:31:35 pm »

What does the law say about posting pictures of people online; specifically those taken in a party atmosphere.
I love GauGau!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Online photograph legality
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:54:55 pm »

depends on the law of the country you're from. As far as I know the legal situation's not quite clear in Germany. I'd judge the situation by using some common sense:
  • If the people are unrecognizable (e.g if you take a pic of a large crowd), there should be no issue
  • Pics taken on a public location (e.g. a concert) are less critical than those taken on a private party
  • If the people on the pic knew they were photographed (especially if they even posed for the shot), there should be no problem
  • Be extra carefull if you show (partial) nudity or any other offensive content
  • Judge from the level of privacy space you captured on a photo: people might not want to be shown on the internet if the shot was taken when they were obviously drunk or if they were kissing
  • If people want you to remove a pic (or disagree to you taking it in the first place), you should remove it (or not publish it in the first place)
Joachim

Zeitgeist

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 01:57:38 pm »

Yeah, I figured similar.

I had some photographs in question from a party where we busted in my friends room, he doesn't care about the pictures... but i'm not sure if the girl does. There is no nudity.. but close... I removed them for now, they were on a private gallery, but I took them off because of uncertainly..

There def doesn't seem to be any b&w laws about online photographs....

I've got misinformation all over.
I love GauGau!

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 07:35:52 pm »

When in doubt, ask.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.