Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kiosk mode for quicktime movies  (Read 5060 times)

markp17

• Coppermine regular visitor
kiosk mode for quicktime movies
« on: December 02, 2004, 03:50:37 pm »

Hi, I have hunted high and low, but cannot find anyway in coppermine to protect the movies from being downloaded to macs or pcs, the only other way I can think of is kiosk mode, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can set this in coppermine..

Thanks for any help

Mark

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: kiosk mode for quicktime movies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 02:41:55 pm »

As i recall there isn't any "protect movies from being downloaded to pcs or macs" option in Coppermine.

And besides that movies are mostly always downloaded to a pc or mac before they are run. So if someone wants the movie they just search in their temp internet files and filter out the correct files.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: kiosk mode for quicktime movies
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:18:52 pm »

Hein is right, fiddling with things like kiosk mode is similar to silly "no right-click" scripts in JavaScript: this simply doesn't work due to the nature of the internet. If you want some protection for your video files, you'll have to stream them to the client (which coppermine hasn't been built for). "Real" streaming needs server-sided technology/settings as well (not available in "regular" webhosting packages anyway).
The answer given to users requesting anti-theft mechanisms for pics applies to videos as well: if you're afraid of content to be stolen, don't publish on the internet in the first place.
However, if you still think you need kiosk mode to "protect" your videos, you could ad an if/then switch that checks for the extension. If the extension is "mov", you could start a JavaScript that opens a new browser window in kiosk mode.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 19 queries.