Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very bad thumbs and intermediates recently - GD problem?  (Read 12984 times)

rg

• Coppermine newbie
Very bad thumbs and intermediates recently - GD problem?
« on: November 28, 2004, 07:13:50 pm »

Hi Everyone,

It's been a very long time; I hope you're all doing well.

Recently, my CPG is producing very bad thumbnails and intermediate images, but the originals are just fine.  After doing a bit of investigating, I think it's because my webhost upgraded GD from 1.x to 2.0, "bundled (2.0.23 compatible)" to be exact.

My question is, can I change the "Method for resizing images" from GD 1.x to 2.x without messing up other photos/albums in the gallery?

Also, the webhost said they installed ImageMagick too.  Which is better to use?  What is involved in moving from GD to ImageMagick?

I must come clean and let you know that I'm still running CPG 1.1.0.  Yes, I know I should have upgraded LONG ago, but I just haven't had a chance.  Maybe I can do so when things settle down after Xmas.  For now, I just need to get this one album fixed.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help,
rg.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 09:20:25 pm by rg »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Very bad thumbs and intermediates recently - GD problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 07:50:33 pm »

Switching from GD1 to GD2 will improve your thumbnail quality.  GD2 is much more robust and GD1 isn't recommended at all.  Switching to GD2 will only affect thumbnails and intermediate images created after you make the switch.

GD2 and ImageMagick have similiar image quality.  Personally I like ImageMagick better, but there's no reason behind it.  GD2 should meet your needs.  If you want to use ImageMagick, ask your host the location of the convert file (for example, /usr/local/bin/) and put that location in your config page under ImageMagick.  Then select ImageMagick instead of GD1/2.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

rg

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Very bad thumbs and intermediates recently - GD problem?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 09:21:53 pm »

Thank you SO much....works great now.

rg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.