Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GIF and BMP  (Read 5994 times)

thespaceport

• Coppermine newbie
GIF and BMP
« on: June 21, 2004, 12:40:04 am »

How do you setup Coppermine 1.3 so that it can accept gif and bmp file extensions to be uploaded to albums?  I have seen a gif on another Coppermine gallery but don't know how to set it up on mine.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 09:51:44 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: GIF and BMP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 12:47:37 am »

GD doesn't support GIFs, but ImageMagick does (although without compression, resulting in ridiculously large file sizes for intermediates and thumbs). This is a legal issue (lzw patents from unisys). If you're webhosted, you can't change this anyway. Refer to the FAQ for details.

GauGau

P.S. Any special reason for posting this question on the "bbs integration" sub-board? I had to move the thread to the proper board, which means I'm reluctant to answer your question in detail... :(

thespaceport

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 01:15:42 am »

Thanks for the info.

Sorry about posting it in the wrong section, I forgot where I was.  Thanks for answering my question despite my ability to navigate properly.

Jamie Lee

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 02:28:49 am »

Is there any other possible way to upload a gif? Because I downloaded ImageMagick and the installation instructions are about as greek to me as they could possibly get

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 02:41:50 am »

You can upload a gif in "document" format, meaning the actual image won't show. You'll get the coppermine document thumbnail instead. Once the user goes to the fullsize view the image will show, but not within Coppermine.

You can change the GIFs to document format by editting the filetypes table and changing "image" to "document" for the gif extension. You'll need to use phpMyAdmin to do this.

-omni

myk

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 09:38:31 pm »

You can upload a gif in "document" format, meaning the actual image won't show. You'll get the coppermine document thumbnail instead. Once the user goes to the fullsize view the image will show, but not within Coppermine.

You can change the GIFs to document format by editting the filetypes table and changing "image" to "document" for the gif extension. You'll need to use phpMyAdmin to do this.
hate to dredge this up, but gaugau pointed out this thread in another thread... ( i used search ;) )

anyway, with the above... are you saying that we should be able to upload the file and then edit the DB or ? i'm not exactly sure what you mean. i have a gif, and i know i'll have more. i dont care about a thumbnail, i just want it in the gallery. i checked the documentation and tutorials (menu at top) but couldn't find any relevant information.

so, what's the step by step process?

thanks in advance :D

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 09:46:58 pm »

To upload gif files in version 1.3  (with GD), you need to change the entry in the database 'filetypes' table.
Change the entry for gif from image to document.

Then you can upload gifs, but they will be given the generic document thumb.  Just use the custom thumb method to give it it's own thumb.  If it is a small gif, just make a copy called thumb_picname.gif, and ftp it into the same folder as the actual file.

Note, in version 1.4 gif image uploads are supported if your server supports it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:46:34 pm by Casper »
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

myk

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 04:22:38 pm »

groovy. thanks so much. ;D

Mac

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:01:20 pm »

I've just noticed that the latest version of GD does now support GIF again:

http://www.boutell.com/gd/

Apparently the patent expired. You got to laugh at Unisys.
Wouldn't it be cool to make thumbnails of animated GIFs? They're always too big...

No help to me though, my hosted service is still stuck on an older version of GD.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 02:23:53 am »

If you search the forums, you'll find I've already posted a hack that allows 1.3.2 to work with GIFs as long as you have GD v2.0.28, which is bundled with PHP 4.3.9 and 5.0.2.  If you do a little more reading at boutell.com, you'll see that animated GIFs may be supported in an upcoming release, but until then you can create a thumbnail of an animated GIF, it just won't be animated.

1.4.0 has GIF support for GD v2.0.28+.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.