Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boss : Coppermine is better than Acdsee !!  (Read 6827 times)

eastwind

• Coppermine newbie
Boss : Coppermine is better than Acdsee !!
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:07:24 pm »

HI i m a total newbie on everything about LAMP and coppermine  :\'( .
Now i m doing a stage (goto entreprise working for learning because school ask about )
And i m in a company of design and architecte . They made a lot of photo and they ask me to find a way for centralise on a server .
and an easy way for using them .
My boss always ask for seeing in Acdsee 6 and see how it can be done with their feature .
I check feature and test it and i find it s very unusefull for a lot of reason ( static html generated less than 50 pictures... )
I test Coppermine using easyphp on win xp and i m sure it s the best way for do this task .
As u know i m just newbie on this and my boss ask me adding some field in database like client , location , name of mark .. .
But i dono how to do . i dono how use mysql apache and php .
is there somebody can help for that ?  i don t believe that coppermine can t do this better than this closed Acdsee ...  :-\\

Ps :  i find also a program it s quite cool for search photo ,it s name Imgseek (http://imgseek.sourceforge.net/ ) . U draw something easily and the software
search in content of photo something like what you draw by color and form . I will be happy if it s can be usefull to somebody ...
so i  not just ask , i try to contribute too .

Thankx in advance and best wishes for future .

eastwind

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Boss : Coppermine is better than Acdsee !!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 07:14:17 pm »

There is the ability to put 4 custom fields for the image description, which you can set in the config page.  Look for 'Custom fields for image description'.
There is also a hack to add more than 4 if you need them.

Hope this helps.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

eastwind

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:07:43 pm »

thankx a lot master for your helping

i try to add the exif field in coppermine using step by step on : http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=9360.0

But first it s sayd to using command ALTER table in mysql how can it be do in phpmyadmin ?
i cant add field ptime , there just mtime and ctime .... maybe i click on  wrong link in phpmyadmin .
i don t understand where i fail ...   ???

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:27:48 pm »

if you are having problems applying a hack or mod, please post your support request on the thread about that mod.

And I am nobodies 'master'  ;D
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 07:40:46 am »

my 2 cent: there's no point in comparing Coppermine and ACDSee: one is a online gallery app that needs to run on a webserver, the other is an app for browsing and modifying pics on a client pc. Both apps are good in what they were built for, but can't be compared. They also differ in price and licensing  ;)

Joachim

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 01:22:53 pm »

my 2 cent: there's no point in comparing Coppermine and ACDSee

Maybe there is one if it comes up with creating a webservice for a local intranet of a company.

@eastwind: what are you trying to do exactly? I understood you have to create something like a intranet picture database for that company and consider using coppermine for that, on a LAMP-based server? And the first idea of your boss was to create a static html-page with Acdsee? Right?

eastwind

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 11:02:22 am »

No my boss want a database that can be dynamic linked with word search , something can be compatible all with all system (mac and win )  and it will be easy to add new picture
This configuration sound me to LAMP config better than ACDsee  isnt ?   ???
But My boss used in acdsee so , he believe in it surely because the habit of the medium more than it s fonction .
He told me to see if in acdsee can do something like this . i don t find its  a good idea to use this soft for do that  , in all point of view .
The last personal argument for me it s because that s LAMP is used Open source Model . That proef it s really work .
 ;)

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 12:20:16 pm »

Speaking of LAMP and Acdsee, do we mean the same?
Acdsee =  (Windows-only?) graphic/multimedia viewer.
LAMP = Linux+Apache+MySQL+Perl. A basic all-in-one pack for a Linux websever installation.
You can run Coppermine on a LAMP-based webserver, sure. I guess Acdsee won't work inside a LAN with a central database - as far as i know.

It's a nice idea to use Coppermine for a company's picture database, but it's depending on what you expect of that database. If just a few admins should maintain it, and if you are happy with keyword search, then Coppermine may be a good coice. If you need something like that categories-function of Acdsee (clickable keywords) then Coppermine won't be a good replacement for what Acdsee brings to a single-desktop user. And Acdsee is a great tool anyway.

eastwind

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 01:22:53 pm »

Isn't that LAMP mean Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP (rather than perl ) ?  Yeah i think coppermine is just suitable for the photo database .
But i m just beginner with it .I like the coppermine communty , it s quiete cool :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.