Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directory 'albums/userpics/10001/' is not writable, files can't be deleted  (Read 6847 times)

WitchyMama

• Coppermine newbie

ok well I wasn't sure where to put this, I was thinking the Uploads forum but it isn't really about uploading.

Anyway I have been trying to get the photo album working for a while and I got it working last night and uploaded a heap of images blah blah blah, and this morning I thought I would try that batch loading option, I had tried it before and had some old folders of images which I decided to delete, which is where I think it went wrong, I have a horrible feeling it has also deleted the photos I had uploaded last night, I get red x's and all that, but when I try to delete those photos that have red x's or even the albums they are in I get this error

Directory 'albums/userpics/10001/' is not writable, files can't be deleted

I have looked and I have no folder called 10001 in the userpics folder and the userpics folder has been made writable. Does anyone know how to fix this? I dont even care if I have to delete it all and re-upload, but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

oh and if you wanted to see it for yourself this is the url http://mackids.misplaced-muse.org/cpg132/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 01:38:47 pm by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict

You aren't supposed to put files in the userpics folder. However, since you have already done so and the database is looking for those files, you should recreate the folder 10001 and replace the files in there. Then go into Admin tools to recreate the thumbnails.

WitchyMama

• Coppermine newbie

I didn't actually put any folders in the userpics folder though which is what is puzzling me, the folders I created were in the albums folder

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray

Did you modify; or perhaps you need to modify the

"Default mode for directories" or "Default mode for files" in your config.

What are the permissions on the userpics and underlying directories?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

once pics existed in your database, did you touch (meaning move, delete, rename etc.) them using your ftp app? You mustn't. The error message you get usually is being caused by two things:
  • improper permission settings (CHMOD) - this is what donnoman was refering to. Make sure you have CHMODed correctly in the first place (as suggested in the docs for basic install), and make sure that the settings donnoman refered to in coppermine config are set properly as well
  • manipulation of files and images with ftp once they are in the coppermine db - if you have messed around in the userpics folder using your ftp app, you will get broken images and "strange" error messages. Either you're able to re-built the files and folders as they were before your manipulation, or you'll have to use a database tool like phpMyAdmin to get rid of those db entries (be absolutely sure to backup your db before you start to fiddle with it)
Joachim

WitchyMama

• Coppermine newbie

yep I checked that about 3 times lol, the userpics folder has at 777chmod thingy on it (as you can tell I have no idea about computer terms LMAO). But the only file in the userpics folder is index.html so I have a feeling that when I deleted the other folders that it has deleted something in the userpics folder too. I'm starting to think it might be easier to just start from scratch lol

once pics existed in your database, did you touch (meaning move, delete, rename etc.) them using your ftp app? You mustn't. The error message you get usually is being caused by two things:
  • improper permission settings (CHMOD) - this is what donnoman was refering to. Make sure you have CHMODed correctly in the first place (as suggested in the docs for basic install), and make sure that the settings donnoman refered to in coppermine config are set properly as well
  • manipulation of files and images with ftp once they are in the coppermine db - if you have messed around in the userpics folder using your ftp app, you will get broken images and "strange" error messages. Either you're able to re-built the files and folders as they were before your manipulation, or you'll have to use a database tool like phpMyAdmin to get rid of those db entries (be absolutely sure to backup your db before you start to fiddle with it)
Joachim

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

like I said: you're not suppossed to mess with ftp in your albums folder or any subfolders. As there obviously are no pics in your gallery right now, you should empty (not delete) your pictures database table. If you don't know how to accomplish this, then yes: start from scratch.

Joachim

WitchyMama

• Coppermine newbie

thanks for the advice, I ended up starting from scratch and it is all working fine now, and now I know not to touch that folder LMAO...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.