Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Give users the right to upload to any category, but not have admin rights  (Read 2864 times)

thefamilyalbum

• Coppermine newbie

Hello everyone, trying to figure out a way to let me family create Categories and Albums anywhere they want. Just like the main admin account. But I do not want to give them full admin rights cause I don't want them to mess the board up. Any ideas on how to do this? I have been playing around with the groups features but it looks like they either have full admin rights and can do what I need, or they don't have full admin rights and can't. Is there a page or some settings I am missing in order to accomplish this?   ???

Sincerely,

Chris

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

you're not missing something - without admin status, users can't create categories nor albums in public gallery. This is by design and can't be changed easily. I recommend you let them upload to an album that is not visibly for everyone (you could enable admin approval for example, or you could restrict access to a particular album where the uploads go to). Then you (as admin) should create the categories and albums and move the uploaded files to the new albums.

Joachim

Digbee

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Give users the right to upload to any category, but not have admin rights
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:06:14 pm »

Hi,
I am new to this software too, and appear to be on a similar quest. I organise events for a 4x4 off-road club, and what we have done in the past is ask users to burn their images (for say a rally event) to CD, I would load this onto my PC edit the image including compression, and then create a webpage, enter their images and others, then ftp the lot to the main website, with a link to this latest event from a sidebar on the website.
What I was hoping to do with this software was to have the users from the phpBB  forum upload their images to Coppermine in a shared Album under the same catergory.
i.e. : Club4x4  -  2004  - November -  Salisbury trip.   (Where Salisbury trip is the Album, and the others are Catergories).
Are you saying that this is not possible unless all users have ADMIN rights ?

I have not used this app before, and am finding it very heavy going, and will have to write a complete 'idiots' easy guide for the non-IT members.
If this subject has been tackled elsewhere - please point me in the right direction or as the previous forum member was informed its not possible, can anyone suggest an alternative solution.
(Web hosting company wouldn't allow me to use Gallery due to security risks, hence Coppermine as the next solution for this quest).

I appreciate you have in depth knowledge of Coppermine, and envy you greatly !

Peter

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Give users the right to upload to any category, but not have admin rights
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:59:51 am »

No, your users don't need admin privileges to upload. It's just you as admin who has to create the album they're suppossed to upload to in the first place (you already did - the "Salisbury trip" album exists!), and allow your users (by setting up the album's properties) to upload to it. Please read the documentation that comes with coppermine.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.