Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image compressing  (Read 2679 times)

andrew_e1

• Coppermine newbie
Image compressing
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:07:48 am »

Hello,

I was wondering if you can make the images get compressed a little more? because people upload images for up to 300kbs but i can manually reduce them to like 90 kbs without any quality loss...

are there any tweaks i can make? also what compressor do i use? GD 1 or 2? or whatever that is...

thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Image compressing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 05:52:28 am »

you can't make the decision to either use GD1 or GD2, you will have to use what you have on your server. GD2 is better than GD1 in every aspect though, as GD1 only has a limited color depth of 8 bit.

Although you can set the compression level (the quailty setting in coppermine config), you won't be able to achieve this with compression, as compression with jpeg always means loss of quality.
Instead, you should set the pic dimensions to reasonable sizes - the issue of wasted webspace and huge files only is being caused by allowing ridiculously large dimensions of pics (that were never meant to be used on the internet in the first place). Most newbie user upload directly from the digicam, with resolutions of 1024x768 or better.
In the next version of coppermine there will be a feature that will resize the full-size pics on upload, with your existing coppermine install you're recommended to set the dimensions of the intermediate file size to something along 600 to 640 pixels to accomplish a decent filesize of the intermediate pics at least. Remember that changing those settings in config won't affect pics already existing in your coppermine database, but only those that are added from now on. You can however resize them with the new settings, using the admin tools and choosing the resize option at the top of the screen.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.