Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album can be viewed by multiple groups  (Read 3430 times)

mol99

• Coppermine newbie
Album can be viewed by multiple groups
« on: October 05, 2004, 08:32:00 am »

I would like to know if it is possible to grant access to an album for more than one group at once?

I will discribe my situation:
I've got some friends who I share the photo's with, we all paid for the hosting but I'm the CPG admin. They can access all the albums, they are members off all groups. Sometimes I go to parties where I give out cards to people if they want to see their picture. I want them to have access to only one album and not to muliple albums. What I do then is make another group calles "041001 party at so an so". I make a user for the visitors I gave cards out to access this group but all of my friend, one for one I have to grant access to this group. Is there a way of letting an album being viewed by more than one group or another workaround for my problem?

PS. I really love CPG

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Album can be viewed by multiple groups
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:33:05 am »

The workaround is to make your friends member of all groups - even the newly created group ""041001 party at so an so". Then you restrict access to the particular album to the group ""041001 party at so an so" and your friends can still access it, as well as the guests.

[off topic]
You might be pleased to hear that in the upcoming version cpg1.4.0, there will be an additional feature called "password protected album" - it makes an album visible only for people who know a certain password, but doesn't rely on group membership. This way, the people on the party just need a password that will grant them access to this particular album - you could write the password on the card you give them. Come up with a naming scheme for the passwords that can't be guessed easily just by looking at one of them, but that is still a scheme and tell your friends how this scheme works - this way, your friends will be able to access all password protected albums as well.
The coppermine version cpg1.4.0 which has this new feature is under development though, and there's no release date yet. I recommend you watch this board for announcements if you want it.
[/off topic]

Joachim

mol99

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 12:18:17 pm »

It's nice to hear the new version will have password protected albums. I don't really understand your workaround perhaps I haven't explained myself clear enough. I make my friends members off all groups but every time I go to a party I have to make another group and manually edit all my friends profiles to access this group. Or do you mean there is a way to make centain users alway to be members of every group available?
In this case I want them to access every group exept administrator.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 11:25:21 pm »

there's no secret: you have to manually make your friends members of the new groups you create. Depending on the number of your friends this can be a time-consuming task - you might want to make the necessary changes by running queries in phpMyAdmin or a similar database manipulation tool. There's no built-in function in coppermine (yet).

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.