Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching where the user has only to click, write only as an option  (Read 4742 times)

sinus

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie

Hi,
The new cpg is very powerful. specialy I like the new search.

But if you have a LOT of keywords, the keyword-search, where ALL keywords are displayed, is not useful, because it takes far to long for displaying (about half a minute). Hence I have disabled this option.

Now I have a simple question. Let's say, you have these keywords:

music, food, restaurant, woman, man, sparetime, profession, work

Now I want to give the users some predefined choices, with checkboxes and radio-buttons, roughly like:

[]woman []man []food []restaurant []home [SEARCH]

[]woman []man []spartime []work []music [SEARCH]

This means, the user can click on some checkboxes [] and finally let run the [SEARCH] with this search-button.

This is very useful, if you have some specialized pictures, where the choices are allways a bit the same.

Well, of course things could be better! The super-search for me would be, like above, but we can append also a string to search, like

[Searchsting] []woman []man []spartime []work []music [SEARCH]

and a search by the user would be for example:

[Guitar, Piano] [x ]woman []man [x ]spartime []work [x ]music [SEARCH]

In the above example coppermine would search for
Guitar OR Piano
AND woman
AND spartime
AND music

All the search would search in the keywords.

Do you mean, this could be done in the search.php?

Thanks for any hints or some code - snippets.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 05:06:11 pm by GauGau »

sinus

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
Re: Searching where the user has only to click, write only as an option
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:07:35 pm »

Thanks for all, who have looked into this. Thanks to Michael for the pm.
It seems, that this is not possible with cpg. Domage.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:42:56 am »

Could be done. Michael (whoever this user is) is not an authority imo. That's why we don't like support by PM: we can't see questions nor answers, so we can recommend anything. Post publicly!

sinus

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:25 am »

Could be done. Michael (whoever this user is) is not an authority imo. That's why we don't like support by PM: we can't see questions nor answers, so we can recommend anything. Post publicly!

Hi GauGAu,
thanks for your answer. I agree with you, I personally don't like PM also not, because I often oversee them. But on the other hand, if you had a problem, what you could not solve (well, in your case almost not possible  :)), I guess, also you would like better to receive a PM like nothing!?

But anyway, in my problem-case I have no solution. It is not that bad, because I can live with it. The new cpg has quite a good search-system.
But if you have a lot of keywords (like a professional), than the really FINE keyword-search (with the underlined keys) in cpg is not usable, because FAR too slow!
Hence I try to find another solution, and my question was in the direction, to make it for the user (the "client") much easier.
Because, let's say: you want search in my pictures a  YOUNG WOMAN with a CAT and a CUP of COFFEE.
Well, usually you would write something like "young woman cat coffee" and try to find. But sometimes that is not easy, because you do not know, have I written the key "young" (for example). Here I had in mind my "predefined" system, where a user can simply click on some radiobuttons or checkboxes. In this case you could check "young" and "woman" (maybe also freetime) and must only write cat and coffee.

I have an OLD example (and in this case not good designed, out of date and too much), but is worked very good.
If you would like to have a look:
http://www.sinus.ch/suche_profi.html

I think, I had given this link long time ago, but I am not sure.
But finally, it is like I said: I can live with the cpg-search-system! Maybe one day I will find out a solution.
Have a good time.
Markus

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:45:15 am »

Just define some custom checkboxes on the search page and add the values to the search string on the code that is executed after the form has been submit.

sinus

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:55:32 pm »

Just define some custom checkboxes on the search page and add the values to the search string on the code that is executed after the form has been submit.

Hello GauGau,
thanks for this! I will try to do so. I wonder, if I am able to do so, I am not sure. But finally, with your answer, I know, that this is possible. And this is very important to know. Thanks!!
Markus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.