No Support => Feature requests => Scheduled for cpg1.5.x => Topic started by: exien on July 02, 2005, 04:35:38 am

Title: update.php has a Poor User Interface
Post by: exien on July 02, 2005, 04:35:38 am
This is not a support request, everything works now!

Hi I just upgraded coppermine 1.2.1 to 1.3.3, and I spent about 30 minutes messing around with mysql because the upgrade.php file has a poor user interface.

I followed the upgrade instructions given at:
And everything seemed to go smooth until I opened my coppermine gallery and was presented with a blank page only showing the following: There was an error while processing a database query.

After half an hour of trying to figure out what is wrong with mysql, I realized that I had set permissions that were too strict (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE). These preferences were working fine for months as I used the system.

When I ran update.php, it said "Already Done" to many of the items, when in fact, the updates were NOT done b/c of my restrictive permissions!!

There should have been an error alerting me to these permission problems. Please fix.

I was able to fix this problem by finally finding on the support forums the ability to turn on debug mode (through phpmyadmin), I think it would be beneficial for this information to be more public when a user experiences problems.

Other than this, coppermine has been very nice to me so far.
Title: Re: update.php has a Poor User Interface
Post by: Joachim Müller on July 03, 2005, 11:34:57 am
Good point, moving this feature request accordingly. Note to devs: the docs need an update as well, saying what privileges the mySQL user needs.