Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All was working fine, now I get this error - "Incorrect database name.."  (Read 6054 times)

knet

• Coppermine newbie

Hi,

My Coppermine gallery was working fine these past few weeks and I was happily adding pics, etc. It was installed in a subdirectory (http://gallery.khalsanet.org). Then yesterday I got this error:

"Coppermine critical error:
Unable to connect to database !

MySQL said: Incorrect database name 'copperminegallery '"

There was some dns problem my host tried to correct and they made an announcement (see below). Can anyone figure out what could have gone wrong with the changes they made and how I can rectify it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An important change has been made to our DNS servers that affects all users of HomepageUniverse.  We have introduced a new secondary nameserver to improve redundancy for our DNS.

Earlier today, some users may have experienced some outage of services hosted at HomepageUniverse. This may also have included our main site and these forums. This unavailability was due to a DNS issue caused by the introduction of the new secondary DNS for HomepageUniverse. This problem was quickly spotted and rectified.

We now have everything working correctly and also have a brand new secondary DNS server. ns2.homepagenames.net now runs on a completely separate network, so as to increase redundancy of DNS. So any problem such as the one we experienced earlier should not happen again.

The HomepageUniverse DNS are now as follows:

ns.homepagenames.net 216.127.78.156
ns2.homepagenames.net 67.18.182.34

(The primary nameserver is unchanged)

For most users, no change is neccessary, but for those of you who use customised nameservers - provided through your reseller account - you should update your DNS records and also modify the secondary nameserver's IP that you have registered with your domain's registrar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Gurdip
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:45:07 am by kegobeer »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: All was working fine, now I get this error - "Incorrect database name.."
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:57 pm »

Have you checked to see if your database still exists?  You should tell your host about your error and see what they have to say.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

knet

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:38:07 pm »

Hi,

My host is looking into it - been looking at it quite some time now!  The last thing they said was, "The error message implies that you are trying to connect to an invalid or unknown database.  Please check in your scripts variables that you have the correct database name and connection variables.". That does not help me at all.

Yes, my database still exists. I exported it to my PC a while ago. Seems ok but can't really confirm it. The subdirectory that contains the Coppermine files also appear to be intact (I saw them via WS_FTP) and the album and all the images I uploaded seem to be there too.

Any idea how I might be able to restore the connection to the database under the above circumstances?

Thanx

Gurdip

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 05:03:53 pm »

If you verify your MySQL information is correct (ie: host, database name, user name, password), then there isn't much you can do until the DSN servers finish populating.  Until then the pointers are still directing the MySQL connects to the old DNS.

If you have a customized nameserver, you need to follow your host's directions.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

knet

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 05:10:20 pm »

I took a look at my config.inc.php. If appears like this (I've asterisked the password/dbname):

----------------------------------------------------
<?php
// Coppermine configuration file

// MySQL configuration
$CONFIG['dbserver'] =                         "localhost";        // Your database server
$CONFIG['dbuser'] =                         "******";        // Your mysql username
$CONFIG['dbpass'] =                         "************";                // Your mysql password
$CONFIG['dbname'] =                         "copperminegallery ";        // Your mysql database name

// MySQL TABLE NAMES PREFIX
$CONFIG['TABLE_PREFIX'] =                "cpg131_";
?>

--------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to be a blank space after the dbname, ie    "copperminegallery ". That normal?

I've backed up the database as given in http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php?q=BackupDatabase#BackupDatabase

---> I do not have any customised nameservers;
---> the thing is, www.khalsanet.org is working fine, but http://gallery.khalsanet.org is not. If the DNS needs to finish propagating, wouldn't it have affected the main site too?

gs

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 05:21:17 pm »

You should get rid of that trailing space.  I don't know about the subdomain propagation - usually that's handled by the host, so it could be lagging behind.

knet

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 05:28:54 pm »

Ok.

I tried to remove the trailing space and upload the file but WS_FTP reported, "550 config.inc.php. permission denied". Why?

gs

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 06:29:23 pm »

Because Coppermine owns the file.  If you have a control panel, change the permissions on the file to 777, then upload the new file.  Or you can delete the file then upload the new one.

knet

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 04:40:57 am »

Hi,

Not sure if it was the change I made to the file or it so happened that the dns was propagated, but my gallery works!

thanks for all your help!

Gurdip :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.