Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine running a little slow  (Read 4138 times)

Halfhidden

Coppermine running a little slow
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:36:58 pm »

Not sure if you can help me or at least point me in the right direction. But Coppermine is running at about 40% reduction in speed and I cannot figure out why. Many members are reporting double posts because when they go to post a comment the site sometimes takes a long time to refresh. The site contains about 7.5k images and even more comments. I have checked the domain and it pings well, the server was loaded with cpu, hdd and network monitors and they are all fine... the site is hosted on a dedicated server... so I'm running out of options. I've also undone some queries to help with the performance.
If you can help I would be grateful.
The domain is www.picturepenzance.co.uk
A test account is available user name: The bin pirate     Password: test
Debug is on for all members

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Coppermine running a little slow
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:03:01 pm »

Well done on keeping up to date, cannot be easy with so many mods.

Looking at your whole site there is a lot going on. It is not just coppermine running slowly but your whole site. SMF and CPG in particular seem to be struggling.

I do not think this is a CPG issue. You need to look at your code in general and find out what is slowing things up and your logs. It might also be worth checking your database incase the delays are there.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:57 pm »

Whole site seems fairly fast to me. Maybe it's a network issue.

Colliope

• Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:52 pm »

I noticed that every link I clicked on on your site is tied in somehow to the Where-In-The-World "FEEDJIT" widget thingy you're using.
With every click, I see in my browser's status bar "contacting FEEDJIT", "waiting for FEEDJIT", "Transferring data from FEEDJIT", etc.   
I don't understand exactly what FEEDJIT is but its FAQS say "FEEDJIT widgets are updated in real-time. Your traffic feed is updated as each visitor arrives on your site. The update occurs before the widget loads which means that each of your visitors can see their own location displayed." (Which explains why a link to a "blogosphere" for my exact city was displayed on your main page.)
I'd hazaard a guess that if everything seems normal on your server that it is this FEEDJIT connection slowing things down. (Also, on a sidenote, I'm leary of any sites with odd re-directs or whatnot going on in the status bar.)

Anyway, on my 5 MBPS connection I didn't notice any undue slowness in your pages opening. But you do have a lot of thumbnails on the main page - all the cat. thumbs plus 12 "recent additions" plus 4 "random files". Maybe cutting bak on the mount of thuymbs shown would help.

Halfhidden

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:17:47 pm »

Thanks for the replies you are all very kind and fast in your posts. I'll take on board all that is said and keep an eye on the gallery. I'm pretty sure that the codes are good, but I will have them looked at once more to be on the safe side. If you are all satisfied that there is nothing fundamentally wrong (showing up in the debug info) then I will close this thread and extend my gratitude to you all.  :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.