Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Password protected albums doesn't show unless you have one public album.  (Read 9591 times)

Cirno

• Coppermine newbie

Hi.

I've set 'Albums can be private' and 'Show private album Icon to unlogged user' to 'Yes'. And I thought it was working good.

Then a new users registered and just created one private/password protected album, to show for some friends, and apparently, when you don't have atleast one public album, your username does not show up under 'Private'

Is there a way to fix / work around this?

Scenario:
Goto -> www.stvg.net
Click -> 'User Gallerys'
Notice -> The user 'test' isn't showing.
Login as -> u: 'test' p: 'coppermine'
Notice -> There is one password protected album supposed to show.
Create a new public album, and upload a random image.
Logout again, and you'll see the test user available under 'User Gallerys' with both the password protected album and the public one.

And while I'm here, I just got to say that I really love the Coppermine gallery, and all the work you guys put in to it. Thank you!

Kind Regards
Cirno
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:57:54 am by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Password protected albums doesn't show unless you have one public album.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:59:44 pm »

Enable "Show private album Icon to unlogged user" in coppermine's config.

Logout again, and you'll see the test user available under 'User Gallerys' with both the password protected album and the public one.
Expected behaviour. Authentification is being stored in a cookie.

Cirno

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:13:38 pm »

I've set 'Albums can be private' and 'Show private album Icon to unlogged user' to 'Yes'. And I thought it was working good.

I've already done that, as i stated in my opening post, that's why I'm posting in here now.

Cirno

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:12:36 pm »

Any other suggestions to what this can be caused by? Or if its simply a bug?

Kind regards
Cirno

Nailstabber

• Coppermine newbie
    • Nails's space

hey all

i'm sorry to bump up this old thread, but it's the only one I found with the same problem as i'm having and is still unanswered.

I'm making a gallery for users who need discretion. They need to be able to passwordprotect their own albums. That's no problem. The problem is as above mentioned: If the person doesn't have a public album, then the pw protected one simply won't show up, which means that no1 can enter the album, not even if you've resceived the password, simply because there isn't anything to put the password into..... ???

Also, once a person has entered the pw, he always gets automatic access afterward. Is there a sollution to this or do I have to make a memo to my users that they HAVE to have a public album?

Regards
Nailstabber

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

If the person doesn't have a public album, then the pw protected one simply won't show up
Enable "Show private album Icon to unlogged user" in coppermine's config.
Does that not help?

which means that no1 can enter the album, not even if you've resceived the password, simply because there isn't anything to put the password into
You could always go directly to the URL of the pw-protected album or send the users there using a link which could come in a forum post, email or similar.

Also, once a person has entered the pw, he always gets automatic access afterward.
Well, that's the point: the user has authentified once. No need to nag him by asking for the pasword each and every time he visits. As I suggested above:
Expected behaviour. Authentification is being stored in a cookie.
I simply can't see your point, nor have I been able to see the point of the thread starter. Maybe you could illustrate your issues. Posting a link to your gallery and a deep link to a pw-protected album together with a password for that test album might be a good start to enable us to help you. Shouting "bug" just because you don't understand the feature is not a bright idea.

Nailstabber

• Coppermine newbie
    • Nails's space

Does that not help?
nope, that doesn't, when all the albums are pw protected, then there are no albums visible in the category.

You could always go directly to the URL of the pw-protected album or send the users there using a link which could come in a forum post, email or similar.
Thanks, this works. Can be an option.

Well, that's the point: the user has authentified once. No need to nag him by asking for the pasword each and every time he visits. As I suggested above:I simply can't see your point, nor have I been able to see the point of the thread starter.
Nope that's completly wrong! Like I said, my users need discression. If some1 entered the password because he may see the content, that doesn't meen his kid may also......., but now he can.

Shouting "bug" just because you don't understand the feature is not a bright idea.
You might want to refrain from remarks like this, I do take offence by this. Simply because you can't emphathize with the author doesn't give you the right to patronize them!

SvenM

• Coppermine newbie

regarding the cookie issue - just thinking out loud...

Is there a way to set a "auto-logout" (looking into the cookie, and having a user logon again after X minutes since last session) like some forums feature? This might be a possible sollution to that particular problem.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Nope that's completly wrong! Like I said, my users need discression. If some1 entered the password because he may see the content, that doesn't meen his kid may also......., but now he can.
If they need it badly, they should clear their cookies or use separate accounts on their PC. Since Windows 2000 every Microsoft Operating system is designed for different user accounts that are shielded one against the other. I have little sympathy for people who don't secure their PC and then ask others to do their homework.

You might want to refrain from remarks like this, I do take offence by this. Simply because you can't emphathize with the author doesn't give you the right to patronize them!
I'm offended by people who ask for support, misbehave by hijacking someone else's thread, not doing as supporters suggest (you failed to post a link to your site although I asked you to do so) and then even think that it's up to them to make up the rules for support. You better review your attitude. Again:
Posting a link to your gallery and a deep link to a pw-protected album together with a password for that test album might be a good start to enable us to help you.
If you only came here to flame, then please don't even bother to reply.

regarding the cookie issue - just thinking out loud...

Is there a way to set a "auto-logout" (looking into the cookie, and having a user logon again after X minutes since last session) like some forums feature? This might be a possible sollution to that particular problem.
Yes, you could reduce the lifetime of the cookie (expiration date)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:45:04 pm by Joachim Müller »

SvenM

• Coppermine newbie

Joachim,

I think if you re-read Nailstabber's initial post, you'll see he never "Shouted bug", just asked a few questions. The way you answered his post can be read as "agressive" (intented or not), so I can understand Nailstabber taking offense. I found the way the questions were asked that - judging by your answers - you looked too deep into this problem (trying to offer immediate support, which is commendable!). A simple yes / no answer might have helped.

Regarding security: yes, you don't have to take into account what "the world" does to their computers, but some webmasters have to. So I feel his question is a valid one - and the answer of cookie-life probably helps with his problem - thanks for you answer.

BTW: it should also be said that I know Nailstabber personally - I put him onto Coppermine - and that's why I asked my question.

Cirno

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:15 am »

He might have 'hijacked' the thread with the same question, but this is still a valid problem, but you didn't seem to care enough to even check my site(It's to late now).

I would have hoped you looked into the problem instead of just giving me the textbook answer on how its supposed to be done.. after all I wouldn't be here if it was that easy.

/Cirno

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:57:40 am »

If you only came here to flame, then please don't even bother to reply.
Locking
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.