Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the User can NOT Select album category???  (Read 3471 times)

narath

• Coppermine newbie
Why the User can NOT Select album category???
« on: April 13, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »

HI, everyone. I Just want to know that. How can i do to make the user create their album in certain Category like Adminitrator.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:34:22 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: Why the User can NOT Select album category???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:20:23 pm »

Users can only create albums in the user gallery categories. This is by design.

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:01:46 am »

This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out for one whole day yesterday - the day I normally use for the gym.  :)   So can I ask why it is designed this way?  If the user cannot choose what category his/her album should be in, then what is the point of Admin creating categories?  I cannot imagine that it CPG was designed for admin to go through each and every album to make the decision for the user which category to put the album it, or was it?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:50:55 am »

The question "why was coppermine designed in the way it is" doesn't apply. You have to understand that there are several ways people use coppermine: some use it for a sort of community uploading files, others use it as a monolithic show-off of their pics (with the admin being the only person uploading).
If you want others to upload files, you have two options (or a combination of both):
  • allow non-admin users to create albums of their own within the user galleries section and upload their files there
  • You (as admin) create categories, sub-categories and albums within the public categories. Allow your users to upload to particular, pre-made albums. Non-admin users can not create albums within public categories
Those are the only options you have in Coppermine. It's the way it has been designed. There is no easy way to circumvent this easily, as the entire application has been coded that way. If you can't live with the limitation (that non-admin users can not create albums within public categories), you'll have to use another gallery application.
To circumvent this issue, enable upload approval. Subsequently, you (as admin) have to approve all uploads. During the approval stage, you could create the needed albums and move your user's uploads there.

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:46 pm »

Ok, got that. But is there a way to create sub-albums, like

Travel Category (created by admin in public gallery)
      * Travel Album (created by admin within the Travel Category)
             * Europe 2006 (album created by Admin within the Travel Album)
             * San Francisco Summer Trip (album created by User1 within the Travel Album)
             * New York Xmas Vacation (album created by User2 within the Travel Album)

I could not find anything in the forum or the docs to indicate that this is possible, but no harm in asking just in case someone out there has found a solution.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:33:08 am »

No. Coppermine doesn't have the feature "sub-albums". It has categories and infinitely nested sub-categories. Categories can contain sub-categories and albums. Albums can not contain sub-albums. Only albums can contain files (pics).

We have a strict "one question per thread" policy. We're not keen to see thread-hijacking. Marking thread as "solved" and locking it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.