Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is it mandatory to backup?  (Read 5473 times)

bajs

• Coppermine regular visitor
is it mandatory to backup?
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:03:29 pm »

Hello, I am upgrading "3.5 Upgrading from cpg1.4.0 or better to version cpg1.4.10" and it says:
Backup your include/config.inc.php file, your anycontent.php file and your "albums" directory.
I wonder if it is really necessary to backup the albums folder? I have over 15 000 images and this would take me hours and hours and cause the FTP to just crash (which happens when I try to upload 500 images or more, so I can only imagine how it would act when I wanna download 15 000 images)

Is it necessary?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:20:28 am by Hein »

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
Re: is it mandatory to backup?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:07:38 pm »

If this is the case then when uploading the new version (1.4.10) files, do not upload the albums folder and make sure you don't overwrite you existing albums folder.

Be careful
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:35:19 pm »

It's mandatory to create backups on a regular basis anyway, not only when upgrading. Only making backups will keep you from losing stuff in case of a hard drive crash on the server or similar incidents. It's a good idea to create the backup at least when upgrading. After all, the backup just will take some time (using your FTP app), but you won't have to monitor it (i.e. sit in front of you PC and watch the albums folder get downloaded).

bajs

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:00:03 pm »

well thats the problem. I DO have to monitor the process, since as mentioned my FTP just crashes when trying to down/upload a great amount of content. THAT is the problem. It means I would have to spend HOURS just staring at a screen, sometimes restarting the FTP client and so on. That's just wasted time.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:08 am »

There are FTP apps that resume the download. You might want to ask your webhost why this happens. However, a crashing FTP connection is not our problem, but yours. As I said: keeping backups is mandatory. If the process is hard for you, then it's a pity for you. It's your decision if you need a backup or not. If you're feeling adventurous, then upgrade without making a backup first. After all, we can't help you with this.
I can't see the whole point of this discussion: what do you want to hear from us? Do you want to see a statement like "go ahead and upgrade without backing up, that's fine"? Sure, go ahead - that's fine with me. Just don't complain if things go wrong.

bajs

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »

I am well aware of that it's a problem I have.

The whole point? I don't want to hear anything specific, I just want an answer to my question. I didn't understand why one should backup the albums directory. I read through the instructions, and the albums dir is not being overwritten by anything. So I don't understand the logic in spending hours downloading backups of a dir that is not going to change. BUT since I dont know PHP, maybe, by uploading some other file(s) in other directories, will cause changes to the albums directory, and THAT would be the reason for a backup of the albums directory. THAT was the whole point with this "discussion".

I never complain when I am responsible to things that went wrong.

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:50:53 pm »

Using CAPITAL letters equals shouting. Let's not do that ;)

You don't need to backup your albums folder from the webserver back to your pc. If you are like me then you keep the pictures on your pc in the same folder structure as your cpg ftp folder structure. Then you would only have to backup your database. There is even a (experimental) plugin from Frantz to take care of the DB backup from within cpg.

bajs

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 06:13:47 pm »

Yes, I have the pictures (though not the thumbnails and normal_title.jpgs) saved on my PC and I keep the same structure ... Thank you for letting me know  :) I have already asked my host for a backup so I just need it and then I can start.

Thanks Hein!   :D

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:55:17 am »

Main reason for our instructions to backup the albums folder is the fact that many users made an error and deleted their albums folder during the upgrade process - maybe because some silly FTP apps replace the filled albums folder with the empty one. Not sure why this happened or what mistake they actually made, but they reported that things broke when they upgraded without backing up, that's why we re-wrote the instructions and said that users are suppossed to backup before upgrading.

Bottom line: if you're happy to upgrade without backing up first, then go ahead.

nickfzx

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »

"mandatory" means that something is obligatory or that you are required by a higher authority to do something.

...so taking the word by it's correct meaning, no, it is not mandatory to backup, it is just a very good idea to...regularly!  And especially when you make a change like upgrading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.