Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thumbnail view based on width rather than column count  (Read 3743 times)

duxx0r

• Coppermine newbie
thumbnail view based on width rather than column count
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:02 pm »

I'd love the ability to specify a thumbnail view/listing width and have it organise the portrait and landscape thumbnails accordingly.  Effectively you'd be left with a collage of images rather than your usual grid layout.

duxx0r...

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: thumbnail view based on width rather than column count
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:00:30 pm »

Unless I misunderstand you, I think this is possible with a theme customization.  Set the number of columns to a large number.  Then modify your theme to *not* use table cells for each column (but probably a sub-table to keep the caption with the thumbnail) - instead use normal spaces.  Then the thumbnails will wrap in the window or in any table you put the whole thing in, with whatever width you specify.

Coppermine core functions don't deal with the display output since that is the purview of the theme system.

So unless you are asking for a theme that already does this, this is not a valid feature request.  In fact, asking for a theme that does this is not a valid feature request either.  It *is* a valid support request.

Please specify which version of Coppermine you are using so this thread can be moved to the appropriate themes support board.

duxx0r

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:27:19 am »

Thanks for your prompt response Paver.

I should have defined my feature request a little better, so for that I apologise.  The collage of images is the basic idea around which this request is focused.  With this feature, I would like to be able to define the bounds of my thumbnail view (not just the width) and have the software work out what can go where, thereby creating a non-grid layout using a combination of portrait and landscape thumbnails. 

The main distinction between this and the previous solution you spoke of would be the ability to enforce paging.  You specify that the thumbnail view will sit within a box with a width of 300px and a height of 500px and the software takes that, looks at the images available to it and positions them accordingly.  With this solution, you would obviously no longer be able to predict the number of thumbnails per page but instead, be able to design a template which can assume that the thumbnail view real estate that has been put aside will contain a unique collage of thumbnails.

Btw.. I'm using 1.4.6.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 07:17:51 am »

Ok.  Well that still seems to me to be a theme customization since it deals exclusively with the display side.  What I suggested could still be used, but you'd have to add on to it logic in the theme function to pull the correct number of thumbnails to fill the block.  It still would make the most sense to be in theme.php with the appropriate customizations to the display variable and the display function.

Let's leave it at that (for now).  There is "no support" on this board, and I'd rather wait to find out from another dev team member whether I am correct that this is a theme question and can be addressed without an added feature in the core code (which I think is possible), or whether it would require an added feature.  I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before moving this thread to the support board or leaving it here as a feature request.

If this thread is moved to the support board, the discussion can continue, although I'm not sure how much time I personally will have to explore and give more suggestions.

By the way, there's a serious security fix in the current version 1.4.8 that you are strongly recommended to apply ASAP.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:53:37 am »

[...] and I'd rather wait to find out from another dev team member whether I am correct that this is a theme question and can be addressed without an added feature in the core code (which I think is possible), or whether it would require an added feature.
I guess you're right, but after all you can only tell if you try to apply this mod. Won't hurt though to move it into theming support, even if it later turns out that modifications of non-theme files are needed. Doing so now (moving from "feature requests" to "cpg1.4.x themes"). ;) ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.