Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help menu doesn't show up... Edit please delete or close  (Read 6353 times)

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
Help menu doesn't show up... Edit please delete or close
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:32:32 am »

Edit: I'm no longer gonna get help so might as well delete this or close it since I'm now on my own, unfortunately.

The otherday I was changing the appearances of the gallery and just now notice the menu at top doesn't show up just the word Main Menu. Can this be fixed? Thanks.
That's the link to my gallery if you can see the problem I'm talking about.
http://www.yearofchasez.net/gallery/

Okay I figured out the login link and logged in from there and admin menu shows up. However when logged out no menu shows up for visitors visiting the gallery.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:35:23 am by insecure x blue »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Help menu doesn't show up...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:54:32 am »

post your changes by zipping your custom theme and attaching it to your reply here (using "additional options"). Seems like you're trying to apply a theme made for cpg1.3.x to a cpg1.4.x gallery.
You're using cpg1.4.2, it's mandatory to upgrade to the most recent stable version (currently cpg1.4.5)

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:03:06 am »

Ok.. Yeah i previously had 1.3 and coppied the theme from there and paste it in the newest version my webhost offered which is I guess 1.4.2 so I didn't know there was anything higher.

Ok i went to look at my theme.php file and notice it doesn't have anything in it and that may be the problem because the otherday I was getting that error about block ids or whatever that thing was so I made a new theme.php and left it blank and the gallery seemed to work again but I guess without any info in it other stuff is not showing up. So now what should I do?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:07:30 am »

do as I suggested:
post your changes by zipping your custom theme and attaching it to your reply here (using "additional options").
If you don't want to do so, read the theme upgrade guide, but then you're on your own.

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:33:45 am »

I'll zip it but I'm saying there is nothing in there. So you want it zipped here goes. Why do you guys make things so hard when someone explains something clearly to you. This is the 3rd time I've gotten attitude from you guys which is rude.

Here is it zipped I doubt your gonna find anything in it because thats what I said.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:54:25 am »

I didn't ask to zip just the file "theme.php" - I'm aware that it is emtpy. I was asking for the whole theme, which means that you're suppossed to zip your entire theme folder, which should at least hold theme.php, template.html, style.css and a sub-folder (usually named "images") that holds the graphical resources of your theme. Don't accuse me to be rude - you constantly ignore what supporters say, or at least you're not reading carefully enough, which is my defintion of rudeness (failing to do what supporters tell you).
I told you to read the theme upgrade guide as well. If you would have done that, you would have figured out that you're suppossed to edit template.html and apply some changes. I offered the option to attach your theme, as I was ready to apply the needed changes to your theme, as I already figured that you wouldn't go through the theme upgrade guide. But, as I don't like to be accussed of rudeness by a newbie who doesn't respect nor value other's time, you can drop the idea to attach your theme now, as I'm not going to look into it any more. So strike the suggestion to attach your theme, do instead as I told you in my second suggestion: RTFM!

I think your attitude needs reviewing: this is free support for a free product (free not only as in "free beer", but also as in "freedom of speech"). If you think there's something wrong with the support you can get from this board and the volunteers who actually do support work, then you're free to leave and find support somewhere else, or use another product - there's nothing we gain or lose.
If you want support, read the board rules thread and the subsequent (linked) resources - after all you agreed to respect those board rules when you signed up.

Joachim

P.S. Stop editing your postings - post replies instead!

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:10:01 am »

Whatever.. and No one is editing. You guys are all smart and whatever But you forget maybe some people don't know your software like the back of a book like you do. All you guys ever do is just go do this and expect people to know what the hell your talking about well news flash not everyone does. Thats where the rudeness I was refering to meant.

Many times in my help post I say I have no idea what any of this mean and you guys are not being detailed so I can understand that is not help at all. And that instructions you gave me didn't even work it just didn't make the gallery show at all.

This whole gallery has been a nightmare for a whole month ugh!

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
Re: Help menu doesn't show up... Edit please delete or close
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:08:57 am »

I didn't even need to edit theme.php anyways. I fixed it myself without your help. Following that guide all the way just makes your gallery disapear anyways so it's pointless(I think you guys need to use your supposedly "smartness" and fix it). But  though whatever this guide screwed up my layout a bit but whatever it works, menu back all that mattered to me in the main thing.

So please close: solutioned solved!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:35:56 am »

Why don't you post what you did to solve your issue then for the benefit of others?

insecure x blue

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 10:52:19 am »

First is that all you can do is just give negative karma lol too funny.

What I suggest to people well all I did after many failed attempts at following that guide was just edit template.html with whatever that guide: http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/theme/edit_template.html said to do And just put the basic theme.php code:

<?php
/*************************
  Coppermine Photo Gallery
  Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Coppermine Dev Team
  v1.1 originally written by Gregory DEMAR

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
  (at your option) any later version.
  Coppermine version: 1.4.5
  $Source:
  $Revision:
  $Author:
  $Date:
**********************************************/

?>

Putting any of whatever was suggested in the lines just made my gallery disappear. Anyways I'm not techno smart(heads up) so since I was left dry on my own I just tinkered with stuff in template.html and finally got the orignal look I had and everything working.

Once again I don't know if the extra stuff for theme may be needed for you but for me things worked fine without it so maybe just only going though the template.html step.

But this is what worked for me

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:35:40 pm »

the stuff you refered to is just comments, it's not surprising that it didn't do anything. The theme upgrade docs page I refered to (http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/theme/edit_template.html) says that you're suppossed to edit themes/yourtheme/template.html (not theme.php) and edit that. It doesn't say that you're suppossed to edit theme.php the way you did.
In fact it doesn't matter if you don't know PHP or coding stuff, but I think it can be expected from someone who wants to run a web site of his own to follow simple "find this, replace by that" instructions.
Bottom line: you didn't read carefully enough. Now you blame us for your faults and keep on flaming. I'm locking this thread now.
Behave in the future or stay away.

Joachim

P.S. Karma rating is a dev-only tool on this board and none of your business
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.