Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to allow family members to access my private album?  (Read 3303 times)

go77306

• Coppermine newbie
How to allow family members to access my private album?
« on: January 18, 2004, 10:20:18 pm »

Let's say, I have a private album, I only want my family members to view it, how to do that?

I can think of few methods, but I hope there are better ways.

1: give my account id and password to my relatives - cons: relatives may also upload and delete images, which I don't want thme to do so.

2: create a special group, set the album only accessable to this special group - cons: relatives need to register, to complicate.

Ideally, I hope I can set few passwords (or usernames and pwds) for my album, and if a user has the correct password, he/she can view the album (not editing/deleting them).

Can I do that?

Thanks!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 10:35:59 pm »

if your relatives are too stupid/lazy/ignorant/noobish (choose appropriate ;) ) to register, you can register for them (create user accounts for them), put them into the "family" group and send them a mail telling them what their user name and password is.

GauGau

go77306

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 10:44:02 pm »

I think this is a very useful feature :-)  I don't want to spend time to write the code myself - since I want to keep my coppermine updated.    I am hoping you can consider this feature for the future releases :-)

Quote from: "gaugau"
if your relatives are too stupid/lazy/ignorant/noobish (choose appropriate ;) ) to register, you can register for them (create user accounts for them), put them into the "family" group and send them a mail telling them what their user name and password is.

GauGau

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 10:45:22 pm »

In 'Users' create new users for your family members as 'registered users', and give them each a logon and password.
In groups, change the permissions for all groups except admin to view only, no upload, no private album.
In config, change the 'Allow new user registrations' to NO.
Change the properties of all your albums to 'Albums can be viewed by' to 'registered users only.(note, you can only do this last one if , in config, it says users can have private albums, but this doesn't matter, as you have turned off this facility in groups.)

Now, when anyone views your site, they will see no pics until they are logged on, but nobody can register, so they cannot loggon without your permission.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

go77306

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 03:52:44 pm »

Thanks for the information... How about if I am NOT admin?  

Quote from: "casper"
In 'Users' create new users for your family members as 'registered users', and give them each a logon and password.
In groups, change the permissions for all groups except admin to view only, no upload, no private album.
In config, change the 'Allow new user registrations' to NO.
Change the properties of all your albums to 'Albums can be viewed by' to 'registered users only.(note, you can only do this last one if , in config, it says users can have private albums, but this doesn't matter, as you have turned off this facility in groups.)

Now, when anyone views your site, they will see no pics until they are logged on, but nobody can register, so they cannot loggon without your permission.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 04:08:25 pm »

OK, so you mean you are a user of someone else's site.

If you have rights to create private albums, then you also have the ability to set who can view the albums you create when you go into user admin mode, PROVIDED the site admin has set the 'show private album icon' to yes.

You can then set the album to be viewed by any group within the setup of the gallery, but not just individuals.
If you have contact with the owner of the gallery, you could ask them to create a special group for you and your family.
Remember, the admin of the GALLERY, will be able to see whatever you put on the site, regardless of your settings.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 16 queries.