Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does CPG support Chinese comments?  (Read 4494 times)

jsmacdougall

• Coppermine newbie
Does CPG support Chinese comments?
« on: September 23, 2005, 01:19:02 am »

Background:
I have setup CPG on my computer in Waterloo, Canada.
I have friends and family that live in China, and they would like to enter a comments in Chinese simplified (中文 - 简体) to our Photos.

On the album descriptions, I was able this for example: Panjin 盘锦 and it was displayed correctly. I thought that the Chinese entries in comments should also display correctly also.

Is it possible to enter Chinese Characters such as this for example: 女婴 in the comment section?

I have tried to enter 女婴 in the comment section but it displayed only (...)

Can anyone help me with this issue? If you require access to my website, I have provided the following information

http://www.fastcat-technologies.ca/coppermine/index.php
username: Sojuman
password: qcyjty

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: Does CPG support Chinese comments?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:56:25 am »

jsmacdougall,

What happens when you change your language settings to Chinese? Do the comments still look like (...)?  I typed a comment in Japanese http://www.fastcat-technologies.ca/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-1868 and it displays properly only if I refresh my settings in IE by selecting  "Encoding/More/Japanese (EUC)" from IE's View menu.

I also noticed that I had to set my IE settings to the specific language before entering a comment in that language or it wouldn't save properly.

Did you set your language and Character Encoding settings to the appropriate Chinese selection in CONFIG and try it that way?

Hopefully, this will help some other dev to sort this out.

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:07:12 am by madeinhawaii »
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:51:06 am »

try using utf-8 as default encoding in coppermine's config. Not sure if this will cure all your problems.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:13:28 am »

try using utf-8 as default encoding in coppermine's config. Not sure if this will cure all your problems.

GauGau,

I tried the default utf-8 settings in my own local setup (1.4x) and added a few comments in Japanese to some of my pictures. I could add them but they didn't display properly.  But, if I select Japanese (EUC) for character encoding and leave my language settings to English.  It displays just fine. 

East-Asian languages are 16-bit, or double-byte character sets, maybe there's an incompatibility between the UTF-8 unicode and Asian languages?

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:50:49 am »

this has changed significantly from cpg1.3.x to cpg1.4.x, so we will have to discuss this issue for cpg1.4.x installs separately.

jsmacdougall

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 05:48:17 am »

Thanks for giving me some great ideas on this issue. I didn't have a chance to read your comments sooner; was hit with the flu last couple of days, and still recovering.  :-\\

My relatives in China will try to post some comments tomorrow to see if it works after the modifications that I have made.

Some Information: My main browser is Firefox (latest).
For Chinese support, I am testing the site on IE since (father-in-law) uses it in China.

This is what I have done that seems to work so far.

In Config,

Language: English (It seems dependant on the encoding is set on my Firefox, or IE)
Encoding: unicode (utf-8)

On IE, it looks garbled, until I select view menu->encoding->Chinese Simplified (GB2312). Then everything is perfect.
I can enter Chinese Text such as 我爱这食物。and it will save it correctly.

When the page is refreshed, the encoding keeps reverting back to Western European (ISO). I wonder it there is any around this short of using Windows XP (Chinese edition).

I'm making progress, and this is a good start.  :D

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 06:08:12 am »

In Config,

Language: English (It seems dependant on the encoding is set on my Firefox, or IE)
Encoding: unicode (utf-8)

When the page is refreshed, the encoding keeps reverting back to Western European (ISO). I wonder it there is any around this short of using Windows XP (Chinese edition).

In 1.34 are there other settings besides utf-8?  Utf-8 is the recommended settings for most users needs and should be left as such, but if there is a  "Chinese Simplified (euc on)" option, you may want to try that setting.    

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 06:21:07 am by madeinhawaii »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.