Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've got errors and XP Home: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket  (Read 5206 times)

btos

• Coppermine newbie

This error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) occurs after I set up a database link to the server. The localhost configuration in the Coppermine set-up I recognize from my experience with asp. When I made an asp page in Dreamweaver, I had to set up a localhost and install the Abyss Server and numerous other fixes because I have the dreaded XP Home Edition for an os. Does the fact that I am running this os create a problem in setting up a remote server database? I cannot get around the error. I sent in a help ticket to the host but that will be twelve hours more. The host supports mySQL, though I don't have the program installed on my box. Is that the problem? I haven't even scratched the surface yet and I'm errored out.

Nibbler

It doesn't matter what you are running, you install coppermine on your host.

btos

• Coppermine newbie

ASP requires a localhost or server on the pc, this program does not require the pc server? OK. Well then, that narrows down my problem area somewhat, although I still have the error message.  :-\\. I see no real explanations for the error within the forum help files yet but I have only had time to read through some of them. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

ASP requires a localhost or server on the pc, this program does not require the pc server?
Not correct. ASP as well as PHP or Perl are server-sided scripting languages that require a webserver to be enabled to run those files (i.e. parse those languages). This is not related to your local PC, your box at home doesn't need to be able to run PHP or have a mySQL database. All this stuff only needs to reside on your server. The server should be located at your webhost, it should not be your local PC box (as you appear to be a newbie in server setup issues). There are some developers who set up an environment similar to the one on their servers on their home computers as well, but this is just for easier development and not mandatory.
The term "localhost" is related to "web issues", but in your case you're just mixing up words from different aspects of computing.

Requirements to run coppermine:
* a webserver that is already configured to run PHP
* a webserver with a mySQL database set up for you
-> to avoid you the troubles to set up a server of your own (wihich is very tricky), the above mentioned things are something your webhost gives you (usually for a monthly fee). The webserver is a machine that is housed somewhere on this planet, but not at your home. The webhost just gives you (limited) access to it. You just download the coppermine package to your pc, unzip it and then upload the files to your webserver (your webhost must have given you details where and how to upload). After this, you use your browser to run the PHP files on your server.

HTH

btos

• Coppermine newbie

Thank you. Yes, I am new to server set-ups but have one configured on my os, XP Home- Abyss. I see that I could use the server to exhibit my sites to clients. What I know of servers, I have learned in the last month with asp development's dependency on Access databases but I wasn't sure of the need for a server to configure Coppermine's MySql database. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm standing by for my host to help solve my error problem now.

I am frustrated with my host, since it takes them 12 hours to respond. Then their respose was to ask for my proof of ownership of the domain- even though I had just set-up a database on it and requested help through the original email that was sent with the admin info. It's hard to put a timeline together with such frustrating delays provided by godaddy. Oh, and they told me that they know my problem.  ::) I'm still playing a frustrating waiting game with them while I have a potential photographer/client standing by. I will be looking for another host for my accounts now. 24 hours response time isn't fun. Suggestions are welcome on hosting. Thanks again for your reply to my question on the database / server / localhost confusion.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

btos

• Coppermine newbie

Thank you again for the link. Still no fix that works from the godaddy host. I could have made a test site from one of the other many hosting providers and had it up and running already...not a bad idea at this point. Thank you for all of the information on hosting.

Would the fact that Image Magick is not supported, have a bearing on my constant errror? They do have GD2- will that work instead? I just got an email from godaddy telling me to change my database name (terse one line response), which I did, to no avail. The response time was seven hours this time...getting better. ::)

Joachim, your site is integrated nicely with a sidebar, calendar, and other nice things that I cannot read. I want to make a calendar too...First things first though. I've got a photographer client to take care of.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Coppermine needs either GD or ImageMagick, so yes: GD is fine if you don't have ImageMagick (I prefer GD over ImageMagick anyway, as it's easier to set up).
The calendar on my personal site comes from the integration with SMF: the calendar is actually SMF's integrated calendar.

urb

• Coppermine newbie

I got the same error

"Could not create a mySQL connection, please check the SQL values entered

MySQL error was : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

My site is currently being hosted by register.com

does anybody have a fix for this?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.