Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete File Download Information for All Formats  (Read 5300 times)

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
Complete File Download Information for All Formats
« on: February 23, 2005, 04:25:31 pm »

Hello,

The problem I am having is that I am not sure how to enable Coppermine to let people download files in the gallery/albums directly from the webserver.  For example, it works if someone clicks on a picture and views the full size image, then right click on the image and save it to their computer.  Okay, no problem.  But, if a user clicks on a video or some other format, there is no way for them to find a direct path to the file.  Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to link each image/video/etc. shown in an album with its actual physical location directly on the server so someone can just right click on a link to download it.  You can click on URL: but that just brings you back to the same gallery/album.  Can I change URL: to point directly to the file?  This way, I can use custom thumbnails for the videos (so the videos won't play in the browser and the videos can be downloaded seperately).

Thanks.

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Complete File Download Information for All Formats
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 05:43:15 pm »

Thank you, but that link appears to point out that all the code in the link does not work, with no further help from any of the developers.  I was hoping to find someone who has the solution to this, as not having the option as Admin to turn a feature like this one makes using Coppermine VERY difficult for a lot of my users (bad internet conections trying to download video files).  I find it strange and disappointing that the project manager for Coppermine said it would never be a feature of Coppermine.  Why not just have the option to let the Admin turn this feature on and off themselves?

Anyways, does anyone have a solid answer to this?  Thanks.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 06:39:44 pm »

I find it strange and disappointing that the project manager for Coppermine said it would never be a feature of Coppermine.

what exactly are you refering to? Please post a link to the thread you're refering to, it's unfair to start a new thread and rant there about something that was said in another thread without reference.

Joachim

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 06:47:13 pm »

I find it strange and disappointing that the project manager for Coppermine said it would never be a feature of Coppermine.

what exactly are you refering to? Please post a link to the thread you're refering to, it's unfair to start a new thread and rant there about something that was said in another thread without reference.

Joachim

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=3082

Reply #5
Sentence 2

On the original topic
I just added the following code to displayimage.php:

$info['Direct URL'] = "http://".($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'])."/multimedia/".$path_to_pic;

Easy enough.  It would be nice to have this clickable, but this will work perfectly fine for now.  At least people can download the videos and other multimedia files if the want to view it later (especially for people on slow modem connections).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 07:11:10 pm »

On http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=3082.msg14166#msg14166 I was refering to ordinary pictures, the request was to display a deep link to the image file for those users who are even too thick to right-click. With embedded multimedia content, the situation is different, as it's not so easy for a user to find out the exact url of a multimedia file. However, I still disagree this should go into the coppermine core: we have to keep in mind that coppermine doesn't get bloated - not everything that is technically possible should go into coppermine. Having a mod that will acomplish what you're looking for should be extremely easy; with the release of cpg1.4.x and the new plugin api that is to be introduced there it will become even easier to add mods to a coppermine install.
I'm not sure why you show such a hostile attitude: what did I do to you that makes you so angry? I'm sorry already if you find my postings rude or whatever; I apologize in advance - maybe the fact that english is not my first language can serve as a little excuse for me.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.