Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was display of IP address with comments available before?  (Read 11154 times)

CaptnMorgan

• Coppermine newbie
Was display of IP address with comments available before?
« on: August 04, 2004, 04:05:04 am »

I have 1.1.0 - and haven't had an opportunity to upgrade. 
I have a very serious situation, with a user making serious threats to the admin of my photo gallery, through the comment fields in the photo gallery.  The authorities are asking for a way to trace the user, and unfortunately, anonymous commenting is allowed, and he hasn't logged in.

Is it still possible in 1.1.0 to retreive this info?  Is it logged with each comment?
If so, I may be able to retreive it once I have the admin install PHPmyAdmin, but is there a way to do it through the software?
I see a mod for 1.2, to have additional info displayed (hostname-I think it was)  - so is it possible to modify 1.1.0 to display an the IP address of the commentor in the admin site?

Thank you SO much for your help with this.  Any sort of help that can be provided as quickly as possible, would be much appreciated.

Mods and admins, I apoligize for posting a 1.1.x question in this forum, but I'm hoping that some users here started with 1.1.x, and may be able to help me.  Before you remove this post, please help me find a solution.

CaptnMorgan

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Was display of IP address with comments available before?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:46:41 am »

This user is on right now and has escalated to making death threats.  I'm trying to find the IP through the live stats package I have, but it shows 127 users logged on right now, so that makes it real tough!  Like I said, I'm willing to try anything right now.  Please help!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 08:47:56 am »

if you need real proof, don't mess with software settings, but ask your webhost to hand out the server logs. The authorities can even request them from your webhost (well, depending on the laws in your country).

GauGau

CaptnMorgan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:31:08 pm »

Thanks GauGau.  We are able to look at the logs, but it's too difficult to find who posted comments that way.  Once we have an IP to work with, we can narrow down our search.  We can pluck that IP out of the logs, and verify the activity.

Can you tell me what I can do, with 1.1.0, in terms of finding an IP?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 04:56:03 pm »

urm, sorry - I can't tell, because I simply don't have a running cpg1.1 install anymore.
In cpg1.3.0, this is what is being recorded in the comments table: pid  msg_id  msg_author  msg_body  msg_date  msg_raw_ip  msg_hdr_ip  author_md5_id  author_id.
This is how a dump of the comments table looks like
Code: [Select]
INSERT INTO cpg130_comments VALUES (17, 1, 'logged_in_user', 'this comment comes from a logged in user', '2004-02-04 10:55:02', '172.26.17.126', '172.26.17.126', '', 2);
INSERT INTO cpg130_comments VALUES (16, 2, 'Anonymous User', 'this is an anon comment', '2004-08-04 16:50:48', '172.26.17.126', '172.26.17.126', '4a6a7a15bd78843e9ee0319b6ac59f65', 0);
I don't know what cpg1.1 logs, but I think IP logging was introduced in cpg1.2.x
If you can live with having IP addresses of future posts of the offender, you're recommended to upgrade to cpg1.3.1. If you need to live with your existing data, use a tool like phpMyAdmin and browse the coppermine tabel cpgXX_comments and check if there are IP address records. If there are none, you will have to live with the server logs and extract the data from there.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.