Support > cpg1.6 miscellaneous

Is there a solution to Coppermine looking "good" on a mobile phone?

(1/10) > >>

sharpo:
I'm asking the question as have tried various options over the years and it does work - BUT with the browsers I've tried, and the themes or plugins, there is always something not right.

As mentioned in another topic, with Firefox the intermediate image display won't fit the screen, but HTML5slideshow and Lightbox do fit - but with chrome the intermediate does fit but Lightbox and HTML5slideshow are too narrow.

I tried mobile_lite (or mobile_light) first, then curve_responsive - which had very small thumbnails and only about 12 characters of text per line under a thumbnail, making descriptions harder to read.

Latest attempt was to sample a MonicaNDesign on my mobile, and that had similar limitations on characters under thumbnails as curve_responsive.

Is there a theme for mobile that does work well or have I got some settings incorrectly set? If somebody can post a link to a Coppermine gallery that works well on a mobile but without the above problems, then it would give me some encouragement to keep trying to get mine fixed. Several years ago I came to the conclusion that people just using mobiles wouldn't waste time trying to view the galleries as at first view things just didn't fit.

I usually forget links, but on this occasion I'm remembering to add them - try with a mobile and hopefully you'll see the problems I'm trying to deal with. One has curve_responsive set for mobiles, the other mobile_lite(or light)

http://sharpo.co.uk/cpg16test/index.php
http://sharpo.co.uk/cpg15test/index.php (I know it says cpg15 - but I did upgrade it)

Even if you don't have an answer, it would be good to know if you have the same "problems" as I explained above - unless of course it all works for you???????

ron4mac:
You just need to have a "good" theme. CPG comes with some now quite old and not well suited for mobile themes. But there are way too few people involved with the project to spend time working a developing new themes. There are a lot of themes out on the web.

One designer that I like is here: https://monicandesign.com/shop/category/themes/
It's probably not the style that you're looking for, but it would be a good start for you to modify to get it to look the way you want. They work pretty well with mobile.
Download #12 that is free, see how it works for you on mobile and adjust it the way you want.

sharpo:
Thanks for reply, yes, I had noticed not many of the listed developers were "active" now, which obviously does not help.

I did try that free design you suggested some months ago but wasn't overly impressed by it.

No doubt, like everybody else, my spare time is limited and my knowledge on editing themes is next to nothing - which is why I asked the question, hoping to get a few pointers as to what to try or do next. Have to see what happens over the coming days/weeks etc.

With more and more people spending their time with eyes glued to mobiles I do feel I would like my galleries to work a bit better for them without having the need to "tweek" the screen to make things fit in or fill the screen. For tablets and desktop, for me it's just right.

Any further comments, or other themes to try, will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

sharpo:
Rather than mess up one of my other test sites, I've set up a 1.16.04 gallery purely to try to try and work on improving the look for mobiles. Just 3 images in it to my usual size of 957x638, as that is the same as the other 25,000 or so in my main site.

Added Lightbox notesfornet, HTML5 slideshow and MiniCMS. Just to point out I had to search for some edits to correct some problems I had in recent weeks - one was to get the text at bottom of screen for HTML5 slideshow and the other was a problem with Lightbox that did not show the captions below image and the 2 buttons displaced to the right.

Firefox browser works very well, MiniCMS messages show, HTML5 slideshow and Lightbox both work well after making edits as above. Chrome gets screwed up with HTML5 slideshow though, the image starts half way across the screen and is probably 3 times bigger than it needs to be. Thought that worked in my previous test sites, maybe I messed something up when setting it up just now.

The common problem for me with both browsers is that only about 8 or 9 characters fit on a line below a thumbnail image. A quick look at the home page and scrolling down will show what I mean. Any suggestions on the files to edit to alter that would be a start for me to start working on it.

http://www.sharpo.co.uk/cpgmob/

With Firefox on my desktop I've got that "inspect element" option to click on the screen and view the code when clicking on parts of the gallery screen, developer tools I think it's called.

I'm making an effort - any help will obviously be appreciated, thanks in advance.....

sharpo:
I've made no further progress, not surprising with my limited knowledge.

Have spent some time wondering whether I should post this or not, or in which topic I should post???!!! Anyway, not wanting to appear a troublemaker or clog up other topics, I'll post it here.

I looked at a gallery which is linked to from a recent contributor's posting, making a point of viewing it with my mobile - and found similar problems to some that I have. It has an HTML5 slideshow which works fine with Firefox, but not with Chrome or Samsung. The problem on one is that the image in the slideshow is way too big for the screen, with the other the whole screen seems to disappear from the mobile when swiping.

Obviously I'm not criticising a gallery, or any of the developers/helpers/posters on here - just trying to be constructive and point out that there are problems which others may not have realised, and that it's not just my sites.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version