Support > cpg1.6 upgrading

upgrade from 1.5, installer and Google index

(1/5) > >>

littbarski:
hello,

I use Coppermine 1.5.20, now my provider will switch to PHP 7 and I have to make an upgrade. First, thank you all developers and supporters for this great gallery and that it's also developed for the future (PHP 7).

I would like to know:
- do the paths and filenames of my images remain exactly the same after the upgrade? I ask because of the Google index and ranking.
- is it for a beginner as I am the best to use this installer?
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,79013.msg383037.html#msg383037
- can I create like a test area on the server where I make a copy of my gallery, then make the upgrade there and at the end just rename the root path of it?

Thank you!

ron4mac:
The paths and filenames will remain the same.

You can use  this method to easily upgrade to CPG 1.6.x:
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,78505.msg381584.html#msg381584

I'm not sure about upgrading a gallery copy. Best is to backup your current gallery (which you can do by copying to a different location on your server) and to backup your database.

Any problems will be from plugins or your theme. Before doing the upgrade, rename all the plugin folders in the plugin directory (i.e. opensearch => sv_opensearch). This will keep you from having to uninstall them, and lose their configurations. Rename them back one at a time, checking for proper function. Or, if you provide a list of the plugins that you use, we can possibly check their compatibility with CPG 1.6.

littbarski:
thank you for your answer.
so the two first thing are already very good, that's great.

about the renaming my idea was just like this:
- I copy the complete gallery on the server (for example in a FTP program), for example "gallery" >"gallery1"
- I make the upgrade in the copy "gallery1" and test everything
- if it's ok then I delete the old "gallery" and rename the "gallery1" into "gallery".

I am no expert at all so I guess the above is just nonsense. Indeed I even don't know anything about databases, I will have to check this in my provider's tools, I saw it once.

ron4mac:

--- Quote from: littbarski on October 13, 2018, 04:05:53 pm ---about the renaming my idea was just like this:
- I copy the complete gallery on the server (for example in a FTP program), for example "gallery" >"gallery1"
- I make the upgrade in the copy "gallery1" and test everything
- if it's ok then I delete the old "gallery" and rename the "gallery1" into "gallery".

--- End quote ---

Or another way:
- You copy the complete gallery on the server (for example in a FTP program), for example "gallery" >"gallery1".
- You make the upgrade in "gallery" and test everything.
- if it's NOT ok then you delete the "gallery" and rename the "gallery1" into "gallery".

Because the upgrade will make some database changes, you will need a database backup if you will want to revert completely to the old gallery.

littbarski:
Thank you again. I will look into all those tools and options I have (never have done anything with any database) and then probably will ask here again :).
At least it seems to be something that I could achieve, this upgrade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version