Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping excessive spam bot registrations?  (Read 12431 times)

crl

• Coppermine regular visitor
Stopping excessive spam bot registrations?
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:13 pm »

I am getting a lot of spam bot registrations lately on two of my photo galleries both running the latest 1.5.44 versions. For new registrations I am using the standard " Display Captcha (Visual Confirmation) on registration page" option. So my question is there a better Display Captcha system that I could use? or anything else to stop these spam registrations?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Stopping excessive spam bot registrations?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »

You could try this - http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,57439.0.html

In addition, you could research creating rules on the server side to prevent certain countries from registering. Most of these registrations come from just a few countries which you can usually work out from the IP address. If you do a bit of research you can block these using various methods, from .htaccess additions, to server side rules. You would probably be best talking you your host about how to do this as they can be very specific to your hosting.

Currently on one of my installs, I was getting hundreds of bot registrations per day from Nigeria. I block that country and they stopped. Also worth noting however that sometimes these kinds of registrations can be down to your server already being compromised. If a nasty hacker has left some iffy code then that also needs dealing with.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

crl

Re: Stopping excessive spam bot registrations?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:52:02 pm »

Thanks I will certainly look into your suggestions.

Is there a mod around to create a specific registration question and if answered incorrectly the registration will fail?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

crl

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.273 seconds with 20 queries.