Thank you for your reply.
Coppermine is the only thing that is being affected on the server.
This Coppermine gallery sees very little use, probably 3 or 4 people per day, and I am the only one who is adding images to the system. I have one person who is putting in keywords on a regular basis and has been for a long time. He says that the edit feature has always been slow, but has gotten slower over time as I have added more images through the FTP/batch add process. The most recent addition I did was Tuesday and that was when the Fatal Error started showing up again.
I have a feeling that it has something to do with the keywords being added to the system when I do the FTP batch processing. When I look at the keyword manager it practically crashes my browser there are so many words. There is also a weird thing that happens if you look at a gallery's "edit files" option. If there is no keywords listed for a file but there is a description, it will copy all the words from the description into the keywords field when you click apply changes.
Can you think of anything else I might be able to check or help you might offer. I'm really at a loss