Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lots of images have gone missing from my gallery  (Read 5268 times)

elwave

• Coppermine frequent poster
Lots of images have gone missing from my gallery
« on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:21 am »

OK so I was browsing randomly and noticed that one of the thumbnail images was just a trash can. So I clicked it and the intermediate image was just a trash can too. So I clicked that and nothing happened.

So I looked around, and a number of images were like this, so I went into the admin tools and ran "Update thumbs and/or resized photos" with the setting "Everything: full-sized, resized and thumbs".

This simply resulted in the missing thumbnails being gone completely (just tiny squares) and the intermediates for them still being trash cans.

So, I deleted the ones I could find and instructed my website's staff to do the same if they find these images.

Then, I was browsing again and found that some of the images have thumbnail images and also intermediate images, but the full size image appears to be missing. When I hover over the intermediate image there appears to be no hyperlink, just like with the trash can intermediates.

I don't rummage around in the gallery's files deleting images or anything like that. We have moved the website a few times such as between servers. I couldn't see any obvious permissions problems although some of the thumbnail and normal images were set to 644 (most are 777).

This is concerning because whole albums seem to be missing their full size images and I don't know why. Others have lots of full size images.

Thanks a lot for your time, guys :)

elwave

Re: Lots of images have gone missing from my gallery
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:37:57 am »

I don't rummage around in the gallery's files deleting images or anything like that. We have moved the website a few times such as between servers. I couldn't see any obvious permissions problems although some of the thumbnail and intermediate images were set to 644 (most are 777).

(small correction in bold)

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »

Do the files still exist in the albums folder? You will need to make sure they exist using ftp. If they do exist it may be their ownership has changed when you have been moving things from server to server and you can use the CHOWN command to restore them. If the fullsize image are no longer in your albums folder then you will need to restore them from a backup. If it is just intermediate and thumbs that are missing then you can re-generate them using the admin tools.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

elwave

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:27 am »

They appear to be completely missing when I check by FTP.

I wonder what happened... perhaps corruption or something? Perhaps a bad backup?

I mean, the site has been through the wars a bit in the past (server failures and stuff and using backups) so... is this probably the only explanation?

elwave

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:03:08 am »

If I can't find a good backup, is there some way to automatically purge all of these missing images from the gallery?

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:49 am »

Should be possible to write a script that scans the pictures table and validates all the files are there - deleting any that are completely missing...
There are tools to regenerate thumbnail and/or intermediate images if that is all that is missing.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

netb

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:21 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.