Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch uploading resulting in server resource hogging  (Read 2414 times)

diamondroots

• Coppermine newbie
Batch uploading resulting in server resource hogging
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

Hello. I use an inexpensive hosting service and recently installed CPG. The install was flawless, and after reading through some support pages, I attempted to run a batch upload of 19MB of images. The FTP transfer was fine and the flash automation was also functional, but halfway through the process, my host suspended my account due to the processor intensive tasks behind managing the thumbnails.

I have looked through some additional documentation, but I am fairly inept when it comes to image management. I was hoping to find out if there was an alternate process to locally convert all the images and thumb creation, and then upload them through FTP in a way that was compatible with CPG.

I am afraid to upload any more images due to the hosting companies readiness to suspend my site. Are there any solutions for this? Also, are there any decent resources for understanding the thumbnail conversion that is done and any other back-end image maintenance that would tax the server?

Thanks in advance for any direction/responses.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Batch uploading resulting in server resource hogging
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

Depending on your settings Coppermine creates/resizes upto 4 files for each uploaded picture:
  • picture.jpg (full-sized version)
  • orig_picture.jpg (watermark backup file, if enabled in config)
  • normal_picture.jpg (intermediate-sized version, if enabled in config and if full-sized version exceeds the limit)
  • thumb_picture.jpg (thumbnail)

Theoretically, if you create all files locally in the correct size and upload them to your FTP server, the batch-add process won't create or resize any file. If watermarking is enabled in config, some files have to be processed of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.